micro controller with bluetooth

Hey all,

I'm working on a slighly ambitious project. I want to controll an LED stripe (the color and the brightnes) (3pin RGB Led - WS2812) with my mobile via bluetooth (I guess it's the best solution) as a stand alone product (without a computer conected) powerd by a LiIon akku (3.7V). I'm a pretty good programmer, so writing the programm and the app for the phone in the end isn't the problem. My problem is, I have little clue about electronics. What are the components I need, etc. I want to go as small as possible, so in the end using also no arduino (all too big but for now it's ok).
Have someone experiance with something like that? what bluetooth module can be used? also the LEDs need 5V so I need a 3.7 to 5V piece of electronic, how does that look? even someone an advice what microcontroller I could use that can handle bluetooth and a led stripe?
It is a quite concrete plan I have in my mind, so if someone has the time and has fun in helping contact me pesonally :slight_smile:
If this Forum is completly wrong, have you a hint where I can get answers to such questions?

Thanks a lot!
Kaje

You will need a computer. You need something to feed data into the LED strip.
But there are tiny Arduinos or DIY bare chip setups you can use.
How many LEDs? How many mAh in that battery?
A small package would actually use ESP8266 Wifi. I don't know if there's a similar SOC BT module. But a BT module you seem to be planning to use is the same size as an Arduino Pro Mini, so your size concerns are wonky. You'll have a big battery anyway. A literal few millimeters thickness on that would be insignificant.

You don't have much of an idea, yet you think it's a concrete plan. Not sure why you're asking for help with a concrete plan.

Thanks for the answer! And yes you are right, plan is the wrong word. I have a concept in my mind an seeking for ways to realize it.
Only six to seven LEDs is the number and the Akku is a 900mAh AA sized LiIon. That's the size the unit shall have in the end (bottle neck size, round with a 16mm diameter). I know that this is pretty small, but maybe it's possible.

I also think that esp8266 wifi chip would be the best suitable for your project. The chip is small enough, including wifi and uController, especially there are a large community with a ton of examples help you quickly implement any ideas with this chip.

In fact, I had also intended to make a LED strip controller with esp8266 but have no time to finish it.

Thanks, yes the esp8266 does indeed look quite good, I will take a closer look at it.
Does anyone know something similar to the esp8266 but with bluetooth? I wasn’t able to find any small bluetooth controller, but maybe I’m just not looking right.
Also the LEDs need 5V and the esp does need 3.3V, someone know a peice that gives both voltages out of one lipo cell?

I don't know of any Arduino-like module with built-in Bluetooth - I think you might just have to add a cheap HC-05 or HC-06 module. It's easier than you think, even controlling it all from your phone.

In case you need an example of how to do this, my YouTube videos #36 and #37 show you how to control a single LED on and off via your (Android) phone. It even confirms back to the phone that the command has been received. Quite straightforward but you won't do it in an hour!

Incidentally I would normally recommend the HC-05 over the HC-06 given the very close price point; the '05 can act as master and slave, that is, it can initiate the connection to your phone whereas the '06 has to wait until your phone decides to make contact with it. That said, the HC-06 is moderately easier to program (as it has a limited subset of commands) and is what I use in the above videos, so it may be a good place to start (as you say you're an Arduinite beginner).

URL to my YouTube channel in the footer of this post (where you can also find loads of [over 50] other Arduino-related videos some of which may be of interest to you and others reading this post) :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

I have no experience with it, but I recall there being a Blueduino board