midi controller project

hi,
I am looking for some guidance for starting my Arduino Midi Controller project.

I would like to build a prototype hardware midi controller that can be used to control part of a pro audio music program (such as Apple Logic Pro).

I would like to make a prototype that I can connect a number of basic tactile analog controls to the arduino which i can use as a universal control surface which i hopefully will be able to program to control various different parts of the software (ie. purpose one: eq, purpose 2: compressor etc).

I would like to connect a number of potentiometers, slider faders (perhaps even motorised), buttons, led's, toggle switches, an lcd screen etc which will give me the core amount of tactile controls which i can then use as my universal controler which i will then try and program to work with the midi bridge and the host software (Logic pro).

To start with, i would be happy for the inputs to work, however, it would be nice to get 2 way communication to work with some of the controls (perhaps using ring led's or endless rotary encoders with led rings for feedback).

I would be really grateful for any advice with regards to what arduino board to buy and also any advice with regards to components (and getting them to work with arduino, ie. any programs that can auto calc the components etc).

I would also appreciate any advice with regards to other aspects such as ide's and software used to intergrate usb to midi and getting that to work with host apps such as Logic.

Thanks
Justin

If you get an Arduino Leonardo or Micro, it can be made to look like a USB MIDI device. The Teensey can also be used in the same way. So you directly plug in the USB of the Arduino to the Mac. It will then work directly like any other MIDI device.

All your requirements seem to be quite easy. There are lots of examples of part of this project on line.

If you prefer a hard copy book then here is one I wrote earlier.

Hi Mike
thanks so much for your reply and info.
Thanks also for the link to your book.
Looks very interesting. Especially me
as I am a home studio / sound engineer / music producer (not professional)
but have a BA in Sound engineering etc, so am an advanced user of DAW's
and have used hardware synth's since 1995.

One thing however that I would really like to do is build control surfaces for some of my
favourite plug-ins. :slight_smile: And would prefer to make my own bespoke control surfaces
which are laid out as I like them rather than use one of the off the shelf universal controllers
that are so popular these days.

I am also presently learning to program in other programming languages, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc. So think that learning to program for a control surface to interface with a mac etc shouldn't be out of my scope of achievables.

May I ask more about your book, does this give instruction on how to create midi controllers even if in a different context (such as using hardware to control the internal digital or analog synthesizers etc).

Thanks for your help so far
your book looks brilliant by the way.

May I ask more about your book, does this give instruction on how to create midi controllers even if in a different context

The first part of the book is mainly MIDI and how it works along with things you can do to it with an Arduino, like an arpeggiator, echo, delay and looper.

Chapter 5 gives information about using MIDI with the Arduino and interfacing all sorts of things like sensors to make instruments it talks about controllers, mainly in the switches and pots realm, although there is a section on using a resistave touch pad sensor.
Chapter 8 discusses using OSC with serial, and uses the languages MAX and PD.

The last two sections of the book are about generation of sounds and digital signal processing.

If you look at the book on Amazon then there is a "look inside" where you can see the contents and samples of some chapters.

Hi Mike,
thanks for the info. And what can i say, rare is the day that you can actually speak to the author of the book that your interested in buying. Awesome.

I think that my primary objectives are fairly straight forward in that what i want to do is to create a

hardware controller that has analogue components (switches, buttons, faders, encoders etc)
that can be connected to an arduino (to start with) which can be programmed to convert the electrical current to data and then interfaced with a mac/pc that receives the data and converts it to language that can be received by computer software.

The second stage would be to program the device to receive data as well, which can be used by the controller to display the present state of the software settings in components that can display such info (although I believe that this may be quiet a bit more involved).

Just trying to work out if I can work out what I need to do in order to achieve this by reading your book.

The second stage would be to program the device to receive data as well, which can be used by the controller to display the present state of the software settings in components that can display such info (although I believe that this may be quiet a bit more involved).

Not more involved at all. That is what I call a MIDI input project. I have two in Chapter 9, the Glockenspiel, and Hitting things with MIDI. You just have to find a way to display information. Any book can't cover everything but I hope I have provided enough pieces of the jigsaw to make it possible to do your own thing. That was my main aim in writing the book.