Minimum system requirements?

I was wondering what the minimum system requirements for the arduino IDE are.

I got a PowerBook g3 Lombard laptop for free and was wondering if I could program an arduino with it.

I'm not sure what os it uses, the power cord broke and another one is in the mail, so I can't check right now. I believe it has the standard 32mb of ram, standard CPU, and standard hard drive.

Thanks for the help

The IDE can be a big memory hog. After running the IDE for a while, check the memory being used by javaw.exe uising task manager. I’ve seen it get to something like 1,027,000K, putting IE to shame.

I got a PowerBook g3 Lombard laptop for free and was wondering if I could program an arduino with it.

Yes, at least last time I tried it on our old G3 laptop. It was rather painfully slow, but it did work...

1,027,000K, putting IE to shame.

Whaaa?

I presume it just uses that much to speed itself up compiling if it can...

There's probably only a maximum of 250ish MB free on my lowly 1GB system at any one time so it can't use very much on mine.

Yeah it'd run... just very very slowly ;D

I got a PowerBook g3 Lombard laptop for free

I just got a 2.2(2)Ghz Dell Inspiron 8200 for free :)

Whacking windows 7 on it now ;)

maybe try ubuntu or gentoo linux on your laptop, the former being a lot easier to install but maybe not as light as you might need. I run the arduino IDE on my aspire netbook (ubuntu) and even on a really old toshiba equius with a minimal gentoo installation and flux window maker.

you should be ok if you avoid winblows, the fact that arduino is open source and can be coded from a nix box is a great advantage.