Modbus request

I'm trying to learn how to talk to my modbus slave by trying to do a simple request and then build the software up
bit by bit. I'm using a max485 wired w/ an uno card. The wiring is the basic seen all over the internet, namely
Max - UNO
RO to RX
DO to TX
RE and DE tied together and controlled from pin 3 on the uno. I do have a terminating 27ohm resister across A and B as per the max485 data sheet.

Power and GND and A and B going to A and B on the modbus device. I do have the uno GND going to the GND on the modbus
device. I can see the request going out over lines A and B, but I get no response. Voltages from GND to A ~ 3.4v,
from GND to B ~1.4v.

Note: I tried a USB -RS485 cable with the FTDI chips and vendor software (checked slave address, comm parameters) to the modbus device and it works ok. So i know the unit is good. I've seen other users use this configuration and their designs seem to work, so I believe my wiring is ok. The software, I think is simple enough to get a single response; unless I'm just really missing something.

Any help from an Arduino / Modbus / Programming God would be met with a candle burning under their picture in my living room.

Kind Regards, HuaTian.

//Slave addr is 1, query coil 3, addr 9c45, 1 register
byte message[] = {0x01,0x03,0x9c,0x45,0x00,0x01,0xbb,0xef}; // <- Query holding register w/ a valid CRC.

char inBound;

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(0,INPUT); //RX
pinMode(1,OUTPUT); //TX
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(3,HIGH); //Tx
Serial.write(message,sizeof(message)); //Send message
digitalWrite(3,LOW); //Rx should receive something / anything

if (Serial.available() > 0 )
{ inBound = Serial.read();
Serial.println(inBound);}
delay(1000); //Wait 1 seconds for Modbus to respond
}

Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(0,INPUT);    //RX
  pinMode(1,OUTPUT); //TX

Pins 0 and 1 belong to the Serial instance. They do not need for you to diddle with them. So, don't.

Are you using the Serial port to talk to the modbus device OR the PC? Both is the wrong answer.

I am sending the data down the pin 1 (Tx) via the serial write function, then reading a response from pin 0 (Rx). Those pins are connected to the max485 IC.

I am sending the data down the pin 1 (Tx) via the serial write function,

Yes, you are:

digitalWrite(3,HIGH);   //Tx
    Serial.write(message,sizeof(message));  //Send message
   digitalWrite(3,LOW);   //Rx should receive something / anything

then reading a response from pin 0 (Rx).

Yes, you are:

But, then, what are you doing?

Where is this supposed to be going?

Trying to read the return value from Rx line. Maybe I'm not understanding something.

I'm assuming: I write to the Tx line - it goes over the max485 (i can see the requests) on my scope both A and B lines. Then read the response from the Rx line. I can see the request on my scope, but I never see a response either on the scope or the Rx.

Attached is how I have this connected without the pull up or pull down resistors.

max485.jpg

:smiley: Guys / Gals It's my birthday today :fearful: Everyone wishing me a happy birthday, they do not realize it sucks getting older.

A good gift would be some insight to this problem.

Hi all !!!,