Model Rocket Launch controller

Hello, I am trying to make a launch controller for models rockets, sorta like this: http://img.youtube.com/vi/8watU0aKlsk/0.jpg . I am just a bit confused, as their is barley any documentation. If you can, could i get any tips on this. Possibly some soldering and wiring tips, as i have barley soldered before. Thank you. I Am adding a ignition button, on/off switch, and arm switch. Possibly a LCD screen or 4 digit segment display. I did some research on the rocket ignite from Estes. They take about 6-12 volts to ignite. I also plan to add this project on the project hub. So, any help would be great. Also, if you want me to elaborate on anything that i said, please do not be afraid to do so. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the Forum.

I suspect Google will find you lots of advice about soldering. If you can get 15 minutes of personal instruction from someone who knows how that is probably the quickest way. Otherwise get some solder and some wire and practice.

If you are completely new to the Arduino system then you need to start by studying the simple example programs that come with the Arduino IDE. Write short programs while you learn how to do each piece of your project separately - button, switch, the arming process, LCD etc,

Maybe have a look at Planning and Implementing a Program although it was not written for a complete beginner,

…R

Thank You. I am somewhat new. I found out a bit of soldering, but i actually wanna focus on the LCD screen. If and when i get done with this project, i will try to posst it on the project hub, just in case anyone is like me.

did some research on the rocket ignite from Estes. They take about 6-12 volts to ignite.

What is much more important is the current they take. This is going to be very high. So you will need a high power FET or a relay in order to fire one. I used a 6V lead acid gell battery to fire them.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Do you know what is needed for model rocket launching, the safety requirements, the lockouts while setting the igniter etc etc.

What is your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Unfortunately its a "destructibles" project so tread wearily.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Model-Rocket-Launcher-for-3D-Printed-Rocke/?ALLSTEPS

Tom...

Consult your local club.

Anything electronic is generally frowned upon for this purpose. Insurers will have an input there.

A simple battery box with safety key is normally required.

Pyro systems exist for displays but are nearly always wired connection.

They also exist for wireless triggering but if you do not have a degree and a lot of testing/proving, you will never be allowed to use it. (in the UK it is likely that HSE regs will be your problem rather than the police).

Similar systems are available for HE , they start at about £30 K i think.

Boardburner2:
Consult your local club.

Anything electronic is generally frowned upon for this purpose.
Insurers will have an input there.

A simple battery box with safety key is normally required.

Pyro systems exist for displays but are nearly always wired connection.

They also exist for wireless triggering but if you do not have a degree and a lot of testing/proving, you will never be allowed to use it. (in the UK it is likely that HSE regs will be your problem rather than the police).

Similar systems are available for HE , they start at about £30 K i think.

I’m not really looking for Pyro systems. Just one system that fires one rocket at a time. It will have 2 safety mechanisms, so i got that covered.

TomGeorge: Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Do you know what is needed for model rocket launching, the safety requirements, the lockouts while setting the igniter etc etc.

What is your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Unfortunately its a "destructibles" project so tread wearily.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Model-Rocket-Launcher-for-3D-Printed-Rocke/?ALLSTEPS

Tom...

Very basic understanding of audrino. I haven't even gone in to the prototype stage, just some testing here and there with the safety mechanisms. I am just using breadboards. As for the safety requirements, i have a standard launch controller, consisting of 4 aa batteries, an LED, and a key safety system. Just to make sure i went to The Natinal Assosiation of Rocketry and they said: "The least complex rocket firing range consists of nothing more than a single launch rod mounted on a sturdy base, a firing battery, some hook-up wire, and firing and safety interlock switches. Equipment of this type is available from the rocket manufacturers or can be home-built by one of the members." It went on to say that a system like this is okay for 1 or 2 rocketeers, but not for a whole club.

Grumpy_Mike: What is much more important is the current they take. This is going to be very high. So you will need a high power FET or a relay in order to fire one. I used a 6V lead acid gell battery to fire them.

I found a good study done on this topic.: https://publicmissiles.com/IgnitersWhitePaperbyG-Wiz.pdf

adroit14: It will have 2 safety mechanisms, so i got that covered.

I doubt it. If you are member of a club there will be specific rules to comply with insurance.

That generally involves wires, electronics is frowned upon.

You do not need an arduino for this. A battery and a couple of switches will do and be safer.

It sounds as though you have an idea of starting with electronics and then launching rockets.

That is the wrong way around.

Boardburner2: You do not need an arduino for this. A battery and a couple of switches will do and be safer.

It sounds as though you have an idea of starting with electronics and then launching rockets.

That is the wrong way around.

Yeah, i guess i don't need an Arduino. Well, Thanks everyone for the help. I'll try and tackle this project when im more experienced.

I see this topic is old but you can check out my instructable on the remote launch controller http://www.instructables.com/id/Remote-Rocket-Launcher-Android/

It uses bluetooth with an android device for transmitter and arduino for receiver. It contains multiple level of lock out switches for safety as well as a key code within the android app.