Most stable company for cellular IoT connectivity?

Hi all,
I am building a nano-based (remote tracking) product. I am currently using Hologram.io, and my solution is working well. My concern is that their SIM program is still in Beta (correction - I thought I saw this somewhere but I believe I am wrong), and they have deprecated stuff (the Hologram Dash) in the past. They do still support their deprecated stuff, at least for a few years, but I want the product I build to run at least 5 (hopefully more like 20) years.

I cannot use Ting for technical reasons. I don't think I can do what I need to do with Soracom's APIs. There is also Telnyx and others. It looks like Hologram is a pretty small company. I like them quite a bit, and they've been around about 7 years.

Does anyone know if there is a more "stable" bet for connectivity? I want to keep the cost to at most about USD $3 per month (my project will send very little data with the connection), and these tracking devices will be in customer's hands, not mine, so prepaid lines and stuff like that aren't really an option.

Thanks in advance-

have you looked at

jwallis:
I want the product I build to run at least 5 (hopefully more like 20) years.

I doubt if any company will give you a guarantee that their service will continue for 5 years, never mind 20.

What would be the consequence for your project if the service provider fails?

...R

OMG, I had not heard about that! I will stick with Hologram for now, but it's nice to know that's a thing, I'm sure it will do well. I am using a SIM7000 module, so this is a non-starter for me:

"Eventually we plan to open it to 3rd party boards too." (Arduino Digital Store)

Ha, there are certainly no guarantees in life. I'm developing an asset tracker (if asset exits the geofence, user is alerted), so if the service fails, my product will be worthless until the customer updates the firmware on the nano, and these customers are not tech-savvy.

jwallis:
Ha, there are certainly no guarantees in life. I'm developing an asset tracker (if asset exits the geofence, user is alerted), so if the service fails, my product will be worthless until the customer updates the firmware on the nano, and these customers are not tech-savvy.

I wonder if you are trying to offer a product that is too cheap?

Reliability and product support cost a lot - it is why, for example, companies such as Siemens and Allen Bradley can sell PLCs at many multiples of the cost of doing the same job with a DIY Arduino.

What would it cost you to host and maintain the website that tracks the assets? And would the income stream be sufficient to keep you and your family in comfort for the next 20 years?

...R

Robin2:
I wonder if you are trying to offer a product that is too cheap?

Ha, that is very astute. The reality is that I do not expect this to be a significant money maker. It is for a relatively niche group of hobbyists, of which I am one, and has been a great way for me to learn a lot of new technologies (including Arduino). That all said, I still want to sell a product that is useful for at least a few years.

jwallis:
Does anyone know if there is a more "stable" bet for connectivity? I want to keep the cost to at most about $3 per active line (my project will send very little data with the connection), and these tracking devices will be in customer's hands, not mine, so prepaid lines and stuff like that aren't really an option.

$3 a day, week, month, year ?

Since its dollars do we assume you are in Australia, as the recomendation of a stable cellular IOT provider might depend on the country you are in ?

Or is a global solution required ?

Good question... USD $3 per month. Global would be nice but just US would also be acceptable. It seems with companies such as Hologram.io the connectivity and data prices are irrespective of country