Moving on from a prototype...

Assuming I'm right in describing the Arduino as prototyping board, are there any guides for moving to the next stage and showing you how to extract the key parts of the Arduino for use in your own circuit?

I'm still very much a n00b at all this, but I've a got a wee circuit working that uses only a fraction of the Arduino capability. I don't therefore want to use the full blown board but still need something (Arduino) programmable that interfaces with my other components.

Apologies if this is a daft question but can anyone point me in the right direction.

(I did do a search here but it's difficult to find something if you don't really know what you're looking for ;) )

Look up "standalone Arduino"...

Been doing some reading on this and I think I should point out that I've got the Arduino Uno.

And I've seen on one or two sites it's possible to buy kit versions of the Arduino that are much cheaper than a full board. However these kits are designed around the Duemilanove, is it possible just to swap the ATMEGA 328 chip out of my Uno board and put in a new ATMEGA with the Duemilanove bootloader pre-programmed, or would I need an Uno bootloader programmed on the ATMEGA?

Been doing some reading on this and I think I should point out that I’ve got the Arduino Uno.

Ok.

And I’ve seen on one or two sites it’s possible to buy kit versions of the Arduino that are much cheaper than a full board. However these

Probably something like the RBBB?

kits are designed around the Duemilanove, is it possible just to swap the ATMEGA 328 chip out of my Uno board and put in a new ATMEGA with the Duemilanove bootloader pre-programmed, or would I need an Uno bootloader programmed on the ATMEGA?

I’m honestly not sure; I think I recall reading somewhere on this forum that someone did that, but they had to select the Duemilanove from the boards menu to upload properly. If you wanted to continue to use the Uno board selection, then you would need the bootloader on the ATMega for the Uno.

Really - once you get to the point of doing a standalone Arduino, you should use the ICSP interface and a proper AVR ISP device; a few of these are supported in the Arduino IDE (including one based on a sketch for the Arduino - thus turning your Arduino into such a programmer). You basically bring out the pins (5 pins, IIRC - on the Arduino there is a 6-pin header for this, BTW) for the ISP, then use a special cable between the programmer and the ATMega being programmed to upload the code.

The advantages of doing this are mainly not having to deal with any of the bootloader hassles (startup delays and such), as well as gaining program memory back (on the UNO, that’s 512 bytes, IIRC - on older Arduinos, you gain back 2K).

The ICSP connector/interface is how the bootloader is put onto a “bare” Arduino system/board (ATMega328 or otherwise). Some platforms supported by the Arduino system (such as the ATTiny85) don’t have the memory for a bootloader, and can -only- be programmed via the ICSP interface.

:slight_smile:

Cheers cr0sh for the speedy replies, although I think I'll need to get the dictionary out to understand the techie details your reply ;-)

I think I'll get through the basics of doing my first real circuit based on a standalone ATMEGA and then move onto your advice of doing all this without a bootloader, although that might take a while...