Moving Serial Communications from pins 0 and 1 (Uno)

Hi All,

I am currently working on some code that i have acquired for a 7 line LED text scroller.
i have this currently working on an Uno for a single character display 7 lines by 5 cols.

Currently this uses pins 1 - 7 via PORTD 0-7.

I have modified the code so it will receive the string of text via serial communications, however i lose the bottom line of the array as its data pin is connected to pin 1 (tx)

What i would like to do is to move the serial communications to another pair of digital pins say 8 and 9 so i can still pass the string and keep the full display.

Can i simply use software serial to setup communications on those pins as every attempt at this so far has failed.

The attached image shows the current config of the neopixels - note the current draw is higher than the board can deliver, so a separate power supply would be needed. this is just for illustration only.

I would connect the power/ground in parallel for the rows (keep the brightness even), and snake a single data line through all the neopixels, thus only needing one pin to drive them, allowing hardware serial?

What is communicating with your Arduino. How? Via sub? Or via a FTDI cable. Or ...?

Thanks for the replies

're power. This is a simulator view (tinkercad) and was done this way to keep the visual clean. Each line will have its own vcc and ground feeds. As for the data pin, the code calls for each line to be addressable as it doesn't use the neopixel library, but rather uses timing values to write to each pixel. Unmodified code located here https://github.com/bigjosh/MacroMarquee/blob/master/Arduino/SimpleScroll/SimpleScroll.ino

As for coms, this will be achieved by a wemos d1. It will connect to the web a parse data down serial port.

Essentially I want to move the ports from 0 and 1 to another pair so I do not interfere with the display line on pin 1.

Can this be done with software serial or am I better off using a mega with more hardware serial coms available?

A mega seems a bit overkill for this project

You can get PB7 and PB8 open by running a 328P on the internal oscillator, 8MHz max. Then shift the PortD code to PortB.
Bonus here is that you can run at 3V to 5V at choice. SD cards run at 3.4V as do a lot of devices, no voltage leveling needed.

OTOH you could use a 1284P w/clock, 4 IO Ports, 2 UARTs and 16K RAM, they cost < $6 ea where 328P is < $2.50 ea.

For step by step on breadboarding either chip with pictures, diagrams and easy-use software,

http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard

Go from breadboard to perfboard.
Making your own stand-alone lets you keep your Dev Board and have more permanent End Product(s) too.
Much as I love my Uno-factor boards, they are made for poking around. My Uno is my AVR programmer/bootloader.

The least you get out is how to bootload your own Uno chips. Burn a pin, if you have a loaded 328P ready you replace the burned one. I think the going price for a loaded 328P is at least $3, more like $5. Check eBay.

a 7 line LED text scroller. i have this currently working on an Uno for a single character display 7 lines by 5 cols.

For modest amounts and speeds of output data, the SoftwareSerial Library should do what you want, I think.