Multiple counters project

Hi all,
I'm starting a project where I need to count events from 48 channels and read/reset the counts every 1 min. The events come from independent reed switches, PIR and tilt sensors giving 3.3V square pulses lasting over 100ms. Frequency of events is low and variable from 0 to 50 Hz.
My question is whether Arduino can handle this by itself with code and multiplexing or I should use counter ICs for each channel and then try to read them from Arduino. If I use the counter ICs, how can Arduino read all of them?
Thanks,
lumarpe

There are many Arduinos available.
UNO
MEGA
BOBUINO
NANO
MICRO
MINI
DUE
and much more.

Each have advantages, memory limits and different I/O count.

You can use serial SPI shift input registers to manage multiple inputs.

Thanks for the reply. At hand I have DUE, UNO, MEGA and Yun but eventually I could get one of the other boards if needed.

Best Regards
Lumarpe

lumarpe:
Thanks for the reply. At hand I have DUE, UNO, MEGA and Yun but eventually I could get one of the other boards if needed.

Best Regards
Lumarpe

Sounds like you are an old salt well seasoned!

I've played around with many projects, leds and motors mostly, but a large number of sensors is challenging for my skills. I'm afraid to start on the wrong track or to spend time reinventing the wheel
Cheers
Lumarpe

I've played around with many projects, leds and motors mostly, but a large number of sensors is challenging for my skills. I'm afraid to start on the wrong track or to spend time reinventing the wheel
Cheers
Lumarpe

No matter what you do, you learn.
Don't every be afraid to start.
If we hadn't reinvented the wheel, we would have never flown.

LarryD I agree 100% with you! Any adkvice on going with either counter ICs (heavy on the electrornic side) or multiplexing sensors (heavy in tetms of coding)?
(Sorry for my previous duplicated message, I clicked the wrong button on my phone)
Best
Lumarpe

Mr. Gammon covers serial digital input registers here:
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11979

Analog input multiplexing here:
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11976

Great I'll check those! Thanks a bunch!!

Lumarpe