My own FTDI

Is there a possible way to make my own FTDI communication using ATmega328p-pu?
I'm using ATmega328p-pu but I don't have usb seral communication thru USB port and I need a
serial Com. I think FTDI will work, never used in the past or is there a possible way to make a direct USB communication thru tx,rx of the atmega328p-pu?

The ATmega has no built in USB capability. USB and serial are as different as cheese and helium. There is no chance of interfacing USB over serial hardware.

You need a USB-TTL serial converter such as are on this website. It will be a great deal easier to buy a ready-made converter than to buy an FTDI chip and make your own break-out board.

…R

It also depends on what you want to use the serial or USB communication for. If you are interested in general purpose communication where you upload sketches using serial and also interact with your processor through Serial Monitor, then using an FTDI or other USB-to-serial converter is what you need.

If all you want to do is get the sketch onto the processor, you can use ISP programming. The Adafruit Pro Trinket does something interesting with Arduino pins 2 and 7, connecting them to USB and they have a custom bootloader which can upload sketches to the processor. This is similar to how Digispark and Trinket connect ATtiny85. Digispark, Trinket, and Pro Trinket all require external USB-to-serial converter circuitry to communicate with Serial Monitor as far as I know, so that direct USB trick is only useful for uploading sketches.

And ...

There is no advantage to using a "genuine" FTDI. Or in fact, anything purporting to be an FTDI.

Any of the cheap (and they are cheap) alternatives such as the CH340G will do fine but I prefer the PL2303 as it is rated for a higher current from its 3.3 V output.

Note however, that the cheaper boards may not easily offer the "handshake" lines that are used for the bootloader programming "auto-reset" functionality.

Common USB serial adapter IC chipset:

• CP210X from Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. (Silicon Labs)
  • CH34X from QinHeng Electronics
  • CDC ACM from Arduino/Atmel
  • FTDI from Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  • PL230X from Prolific Technology, Inc.

Common USB serial adapter IC chipset

One odd is USB HID (human interface device) which working with windows without driver.

You don't need a USB to serial converter; it's possible to use "V-USB" to handle the interface. The digispark is probably the simplest example of this and it only uses an ATTiny.

Lots of caveats, sure, but don't say it's impossible.

Chagrin:
Lots of caveats, sure, but don't say it's impossible.

It is also possible to drive a Formula1 race-car to pole position.

...R

V-USB is usable. Also, very nice example is USBasp form Fischl. You can download the sources with the USB driver included (V-USB), from his web. It uses also ATmega88 which is smaller sibling of 328. Not the science of impossible.

For what I understood V-Usb works for uploading sketches but not for serial Com, which is what Op needs.

I need a possible serial communication with a atmega832p to write and read data from a computer, without using arduino, any ideas?

FTDI Basic? I use modules from www.tinyosshop.com, and MIKROE-483 from www.mouser.com when I want something I can mount to a PCB, such as here:
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Looks pretty nice :smiley:
but I'm trying to make a really small as possible PCB so i just need a basic way to make the 328p possible
to communicate thru serial communication

Domino60:
but I'm trying to make a really small as possible PCB so i just need a basic way to make the 328p possible

Does it has to be the atmega32p? Cannot you use another one, like atmega32U4, small and with native usb port?

Domino60:

So - what is wrong with a Nano? Ready-made, components on both sides, it is hardly huge.

Does it has to be the atmega32p? Cannot you use another one, like atmega32U4, small and with native usb port?

Yes I can use but right now I don't have any other chips, I got only 328p's if you got any other suggestion please tell me.

So - what is wrong with a Nano? Ready-made, components on both sides, it is hardly huge

There is nothing with the nano it's ok and i like it but I try to make my own PCB so in this case i don't need shileds or ready made components, hope you understand.

Well talking about USB/serial communication and mention the "Mega32U4" I never used on of those,
I mostly working with 328p, so talking about the 32U4 if I buy new one i need to bootload it, right?
as I understand it has the ability to work as an keyboard, mouse..etc and USB communication, could someone light me up and give me an example of how I could connect (diagram) the 32U4 as an direct USB and make a USB communication!?
And as i understand it's working as an FTDI so I could load directly my code, right?!

I will keep searching too but if you got some fast links (if you learned before), it's my 1st time so i need to do a full research.

Thanks,
D60

Domino60:
There is nothing with the Nano it's ok and I like it but I try to make my own PCB so in this case I don't need shields or ready made components, hope you understand.

I certainly do understand. You are doing it purely for the intellectual exercise - to prove that you can.

There is absolutely no economic or practical sense in making your own board for this.

Domino60:
Well talking about USB/serial communication and mention the "Mega32U4" I never used on of those,
I mostly working with 328p, so talking about the 32U4 if I buy new one i need to bootload it, right?
as I understand it has the ability to work as an keyboard, mouse..etc and USB communication, could someone light me up and give me an example of how I could connect (diagram) the 32U4 as an direct USB and make a USB communication!?
And as i understand it's working as an FTDI so I could load directly my code, right?!

I will keep searching too but if you got some fast links (if you learned before), it's my 1st time so i need to do a full research.

Thanks,
D60

Look arduino leonardo schematics, its just what you want to do with the atmega32U4.

I certainly do understand. You are doing it purely for the intellectual exercise - to prove that you can.

There is absolutely no economic or practical sense in making your own board for this.

Yea I know but it's good for my own experience working and making stuffs, I wanna test it and in the close future combine more components in one circuit.
Till making the final device I'm testing everything apart.

Look arduino leonardo schematics, its just what you want to do with the atmega32U4.

If found some schematics and there is some direct pinds from D+, D-, working/reserching few days of USB port's diagrams..etc. So the 32U4 has direct USB pins that means if I bootload the chip and after that connect it as usb it gonna be recognizable as MEGA32u4 by the arduino IDE ?

Thx,
D60