Nano BLE Crashing Macbook

I have just bought an official Arduino Nano BLE. When it is plugged into my macbook pro (old 2009 model) after a while or when I press the reset button, the macbook has a kernel panic and shuts down.

I have searched through the board, and seen posts about installing a new CH340 driver? But these posts also say that this applies to clones only?

is this likely to be the problem with my official board, or are there any other issues that could cause this.

The time period appears random, I was able to get the board info and upload the blink sketch before it crashed. I do not believe the driver above applies to this official board, so any other input welcome.

This is quite frustrating as I have a project proven with a seperate bluetooth module and a Uno that I need to shrink down to nano, to fit intoi my planned case layout :frowning:

Is this what you have?

CH340 driver won't help there.
Never played with this board, hope you are able to find a solution.

Yes, that is the board I have. It's a bit strange that it can crash the whole mac like that, not sure what is going on.

Have you installed the board CORE via the board manager ?
The official driver is installed using that method.

Moving you to the correct section where it is mentioned in the sticky posts.

I've done a bit more testing. The problem is quite repeatable. My simple test sketch compiles correctly and uploads to the Arduino Nano 33 BLE correctly. A few seconds after the upload completes and as the board starts executing the sketch, the macbook completely crashes with a kernel panic!

Once the computer reboots, it runs quite happily with the nano still plugged in executing the sketch. Only if I compile and upload again will it crash, every time.

The nano support was installed using the board manager:

I also uninstalled it just now, and re-installed, with no effect.

I can check the board info with no effect on the mac:

The macbook is a macbook pro mid 2009 running OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan.

hmm, the images didn't work, they were just a screenshot of the board manager showing Arduino nRF528x Boards very 1.1.6 is installed for board Arduino nano 33 BLE, and a screen shot of the get board info showing the board responding.

Which images ?

Just screenshots I tried to include in the post above.

Ok pictures do have a size limit so you may want to reduce them where you can by cropping the crud and doing a simple resize, memory wise IIRC it still has to be under 2mb

There's nothing important in the pictures, think i've outlined the problem pretty clearly.

Any suggestions how to fix? If there is a driver installed as part of the board install, is this something that can be checked/changed.

I thought going for an official board would be plug and play just like my uno's have been :frowning:

The board has native USB and handles the USB connection itself. It uses two different USB endpoints (kind of virtual connection) and switches between them for programming and normal mode.

Can you see whether you can crash your MAC by switching between the modes? One click on the reset button will set it to normal mode, double click will set it to programming mode. This could be an indication whether the IDE is at all involved in the crash or whether it is the driver.

The button seems to be working as it should, and not causing any problem, despite what I thought yesterday when I did my original post.

One press and my sketch restarts OK. ( just a simple loop changing the colours of the rgb led, I also tried the blink example, crashed the same)

Two presses and it goes into programming mode.

Have tried uploading in both modes and the effect seems the same. The upload works, I see the message saying 100% uploaded in the IDE, the led starts cycling, and in a second or two the computer crashes to the kernel panic screen and reboots.

After reboot I can open the serial monitor and see the serial.print statements in my sketch printing to the console ok.

So everything seems fine except whatever is happening immediately after uploading.

It would be great to get to find the cause of this. It is a bit of an old laptop now, but still very usable for hobby work like this.

So, it looks like the Arduino IDE might be involved. One thing you could try is to install some older version.

If there is a difference it might help the Arduino team to find the issue. I am not sure what the official way to report this is. Maybe ballscrewbob or CrossRoads can let you know.

The "official" method is on github but a link back to this post should also be included in the report.