Nano, can no longer upload sketches

Hi Everyone,

I have an Arduino brand Nano. I uploaded the blink sketch to test it out and it worked.
But now I am unable to upload anything else, even other example sketches from the IDE.

The "uploading..." takes forever and I eventually get the error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9d

Other solutions suggest using the old bootloader, which does not work for me.

The blink sketch is still working on the board, I can see it blinking away, mocking me, when it is plugged in.

I've also tried other USB cables.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it showing up as a COM port?
IDE tool bar → Tools → Port

Yes it does. Same port as when I first uploaded the blink sketch successfully.

OK, the error/s you've noted are what I see when I (forgetfully) fail to click the right COM port (switching between Uno, NodeMCU, etc).
So if it enumerates (USB) and there's a checkmark in 'Port' - then I'm stumped.

OK I think I figured it out. Upon opening IDE this time , I was prompted with a message to install something for AVR boards. I wasn't aware of Nano "Every" I have other nano clones (which also have lots of problems) but I didn't know there was a difference.

Anyway, I uploaded the sketch after selecting Arduino Nano Every. I am still getting an error, but have read on other forum posts that this error can be ignored.

"avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description"

The blink sketch is no longer running, so I think it worked.

I'm still not sure why it worked the first time though.

From the Arduino's site so should be fine: https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/articles/4405239282578-avrdude-jtagmkII-initialize-Cannot-locate-flash-and-boot-memories-in-description