Need help in installing arduino in ubuntu 11.10

I followed this tutorial for installing arduino: http://www.pluggy.me.uk/arduino-ubuntu/

I installed Openjdk-6-jre, gcc-avr, avr-libc using synaptic package manager and allowed to install whatever extra it wanted to install.

Then now when i try to compile a code, i get this error: Cannot run program "/home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++": java.io.IOException: error=13, Permission denied

Then i enabled the "Allow executing file as program" in permissions tab for that avr-g++ file. But now i get an error like this:

/home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++: line 3: /home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../bin.gcc/avr-g++: Permission denied /home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++: line 3: exec: /home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../bin.gcc/avr-g++: cannot execute: Permission denied /home/vikram/Desktop/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ returned 126

I don't know what to do now.. Can any linux expert help me in this issue

No one wants to help?? Please i need some help. I have wasted 3 days in this

I just did a fresh install on Ubuntu v11.10. No glitches at all.

First, install the IDE v0022 from the repository. I didn't even try that version. That gets all the updated and debugged avr-gcc stuff.

Then I downloaded v1.0.1 from the Arduino site, unpacked it, and ran it from the arduino shell script in that directory.

Worked great without any patches. :)

Upgrade = Exchanging bugs for no bugs.

I also installed it all in ubuntu without glitches…Even done it all for me, just like windows …So why dont you ?!?

iyahdub: I also installed it all in ubuntu without glitches...Even done it all for me, just like windows ...So why dont you ?!?

What procedure you have followed in installing? Can you please explain? I get permission denied errors. Do you run as root?

Click the Dash Home icon on the upper left of your display. Search for arduino. It will show v0022 as available for download. Click "install".