New packaging?

Hi all.

I’m very new to the world of electronics, only really getting started properly at Christmas.

As I’ve been programming for some 30 years, I was excited by the possibilities that the Arduino provides so ordered a Uno last week.

The board has arrived this morning (from an official distributor) but I noticed that the box differs from all of those I’ve seen online in either static images or YouTube unboxing videos. The version I’ve seen previously had a sticker to seal the flap on the front of the box. The version I’ve received is quite different with a seal one end of the box which you can then close again by way of a flap. It has all of the usual stickers inside but I just wanted to be sure I have a genuine Rev3 and wondered if this is very old or very new packaging.

The board itself looks the genuine article with Made in Italy text etc although I haven’t yet powered it up.

It is the new original! Do not worry :slight_smile:

Yes, that is just the "retail" display version packaging, used for in-store displays.

I had a similar discussion at another forum. This board should NOT be shipped without it being inside an ESD bag. Mine came with no ESD bag enclosing it. Get real.

I don't know who is in charge of this packaging idea, but it's a pretty dumb decision. I've even ordered resistors that come in ESD bags. :roll_eyes:

modeller:
This board should NOT be shipped without it being inside an ESD bag.

Unfortunately it is from the “we never have in the past” mindset, as Arduino boards have never shipped with one.

I’m not really sure I see the point. Practically no one takes ESD precautions when using the board anyway.

Many thanks for the replies. Puts my mind at rest. Cheers!

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=152163.msg1143122#msg1143122 date=1362454310]

modeller: This board should NOT be shipped without it being inside an ESD bag.

Unfortunately it is from the "we never have in the past" mindset, as Arduino boards have never shipped with one. [/quote]

So? That doesn't make it correct procedure. "Because we've always done it that way ..." is the oldest and worst excuse out there.

I'm not really sure I see the point. Practically no one takes ESD precautions when using the board anyway.

Again - so?

The board needs to arrive operational to the customer, you know the person who paid good money for it? What they do with an operational board is then their problem.

There's really no excuse for not shipping the board without an ESD bag. None.