NRF24L01 causing issues with 12 V

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a Nano with a NRF24L01 that talks back to a RPI (which obviously also has a NRF24L01 attached).
If I hook it up to my PC through USB or use an external 5V power supply with USB, it works.
However, if I hook up a 12V power supply through VIN, the wireless receiver appears to be getting a lot of “noise” (not sure if this is the right term). On USB, the serial monitor shows me exactly what I send off the RPI. If I connect 12V to VIN, it immediately starts throwing out carriage returns in an endless loop as if it was receiving tons of carriage returns.

// inside the loop
if (radio.available()) 
 {
    radio.read(&rcv,sizeof(rcv));
   Serial.println(rcv);
 }

As you can see on the picture, I do have a 10uF across VCC and Ground on the NRF24L01.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong here? If you need additional information from my end, please let me know.

Thanks.

The 5v0 and/or the 3v3 regulator is probably shutting down from overtemp. The 3v3 is marginal at 5v0 when feeding an nRF24. Use a separate supply for the nRF24 in all cases.

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try.

Here is a handy adapter that will work with either version of the recent nRF24L04+ units. This is the 8-pin version. There is another version intended for the older 10-pin units. Be careful when searching eBay. Other than the socket size, they look the same.