nrf24l01 not working with arduino nano

Hi,

I am trying to interface nrf24l01 with arduino and so far i am successful with Arduino uno. I used the on board 3.3 v pin to power up the device with a 10 uf capacitor across the vin and gnd pin on the device. Now i have a arduino nano v3 with which i wanted to interface the device. The sketch is a same one that i used on uno. I am using the RF24 library by maniacbug. Unfortunately when i print the radio debug info it shows all zeroes where as with uno it prints correct information and works. I also tried with external 3.3v supply, to overcome the low power issue occurs for onboard 3.3v pin, but no luck. As per my knowledge RF24 uses 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 digital pins along with vcc and gnd. I referred to http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=224418.msg1625403#msg1625403 page also but with no luck.

Arduino seems to be working because i see the serial output, and program loading is also fine. I may be doing something wrong with the connectivity. For nano i use last 4 pins at one end of the arduino (D9, D10, D11, D12), and took D13 from other end.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Debojit

Stupid question - did you double check wiring? Normally zeros are indication of wrong wiring.

It also seems to me very very stupid and nonsense but yes it is happening, and driving me nuts, i checked wiring for quite a few times, even the voltage levels at every pin. but no luck. Do I need to do anything special for nano? Thanks.

Did you run a gnd wire from your stand-alone power supply back to the nano?

Your nano should work the same as the uno. I've even had a nano & rf24 working with the nano's 3.3v (but I'd recommend you stick with your stand alone 3.3v supply !)

debojitk: Hi,

I am trying to interface nrf24l01 with arduino and so far i am successful with Arduino uno. I used the on board 3.3 v pin to power up the device with a 10 uf capacitor across the vin and gnd pin on the device. Now i have a arduino nano v3 with which i wanted to interface the device. The sketch is a same one that i used on uno. I am using the RF24 library by maniacbug. Unfortunately when i print the radio debug info it shows all zeroes where as with uno it prints correct information and works. I also tried with external 3.3v supply, to overcome the low power issue occurs for onboard 3.3v pin, but no luck. As per my knowledge RF24 uses 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 digital pins along with vcc and gnd. I referred to http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=224418.msg1625403#msg1625403 page also but with no luck.

Arduino seems to be working because i see the serial output, and program loading is also fine. I may be doing something wrong with the connectivity. For nano i use last 4 pins at one end of the arduino (D9, D10, D11, D12), and took D13 from other end.

debojitk: Hi,

I'm using Arduino Nano board connect to nrf24l01 module. One transmiter, 1 receiver. But I configure as blow CE ------ D8, CSN ----------D7. Everything OK.

duongbo: I'm using Arduino Nano board connect to nrf24l01 module. One transmiter, 1 receiver. But I configure as blow CE ------ D8, CSN ----------D7. Everything OK.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Did you face any problem with ce=9, csn=10 at the first time, becoz it seems weird. Could you tell me if i need to alter any library part or code to run with nano? Previous time i increased the input voltage a little bit and my nrfs got fried :(. I now have a LM1117 3.3v power supply that outputs 2.92 v but that is fine bcoz nrf work between 1.9 to 3.6v as per data sheet.. I also tested the new power supply and that works with my old uno setup with nrf. I used the same psu with nano with default config i.e., ce=9, csn=10 and again it does not work. I will try with d7 and d8 and let you know the output.

debojitk: Hi, Thanks for your reply. Did you face any problem with ce=9, csn=10 at the first time, becoz it seems weird. Could you tell me if i need

I have 9 and 10 set-up on Nano and it works just fine. No need for a special config. Whatever works on UNO will work on Nano.

Hi All, Sorry to bother you all. It was wiring problem, i mean loose wiring. After I rewire everything by exchanging different wires it started working...in the meantime i fried two nrf modules :(.

And it runs with its default 3.3v pin itself.

Thanks for all your support. Closing the thread.

Regards, Debojit

Hello, Additional information:

I experienced very similar problem. (RF24.h library, CE and CSN - 9 and 10 pins correspondingly)

Arduino UNO and NANO did not work with NRF24L01 chip, but I had not problems with Leonardo. changed PA_Power and reduced data rate:

radio.setDataRate(RF24_250KBPS); radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_MIN);

and NANO started working, but not not UNO. According to the suggestions, I added a capacitor (low impedance 1000 uF) just onto the Vcc and GND pins of the NRF24L01. At that moment I did not have low value caps for RF decoupling.

UNO started working.

I checked data transmission on both Arduinos (NANO and UNO) with and without added external capacitors.

Interestingly, UNO without external capacitor is capable of sending data, but not receiving.

Regards