Only backlight on LCD[solved]

Hello there!

so i followed the hello world tutorial(https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LibraryExamples/HelloWorld) but i cant get text on my lcd. The backlight with pot meter works just fine, just no text. I also looked at some other threads that had a similar problem like mine but that also didn't work for me. I'm using Arduino Uno with 1602A LCD screen. Anyone got any ideas?

Code:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

const int rs = 12, en = 11, d4 = 7, d5 = 6, d6 = 5, d7 = 4; // define pins as letters for convenience
int val;
LiquidCrystal lcd(rs, en, d4, d5, d6, d7); // bind pins
void setup() {
    lcd.begin (16,2); // collums * rows
    lcd.print ("Hello world!"); //print "Hello world!"
}

void loop() {
  lcd.setCursor(0,1); //set cursor to first collum, second row
  lcd.print(millis() /1000); //counts time till last reset (bracket after 'millis' is neccesary)
delay(1000);
}
  • add a 1s delay in the loop to avoid constant refresh
  • post a picture of your setup as well as description of all your connexions
  • which LiquidCrystal library are you using ?

• done
  • idk if you can easily see the connections but here ya go. also how do i describe connections? no idea how that goes. at least the d4 - d7 pins are defined in the code i posted.
  • the one that came with the arduino IDE program probably from when i installed it a couple of years ago for school, do i need to update it?

your breadboard is cut in the middle

so GND and POWER don't go through

you need to put small wires to ensure continuity

that worked thx!!

Have fun

1 Like

Remove the connection from the potentiometer to 5 V.

This is a longstanding mistake blindly copied from one "tutorial" to another and another. The circuit still works, but if you remove that connection it is easier to set the contrast.

In fact, a 10k potentiometer is the wrong value, should be 1k but if you actually connect both ends if the 10k potentiometer to negative/ ground, you will be able to adjust the contrast over an even wider span of the potentiometer again. :sunglasses:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.