Optiboot Problems?

I have an UNO board that is 3 months old and working fine. I bought some new chips to program from Jameco Electronics that says they are preloaded with optiboot. I took out the "stock" 328 that came with the board installed the new chip in the UNO board and after USB power up the on board LED blinks which I have read means the chip is working. That makes sense. I have tried to upload the blink sketch to the new chip just to make sure it will except a sketch. I see the rx LED on the UNO board blink like it is rxing data. It returns the "not in sync: resp=0x63" error code. I am running Arduino version 1.6.7 IDE. I have restarted the computer, reset the UNO to no avail. I have done the loop back test and all is well. I just can't get the new chip to accept a new sketch. I was wondering if there is anything different I need to do as the new chips are bootloaded with optiboot. I don't have a clue if the original stock chip that came with the UNO is loaded with optiboot or not I'm sure somebody knows. Should I reload the bootloader with the one that came with the IDE software on my computer?

zzprop: after USB power up the on board LED blinks which I have read means the chip is working.

You mean the regular 1s blink pattern? Then yes, they are working.

zzprop: as the new chips are bootloaded with optiboot.

Are they? You didn't give us a link to the product so we're in the dark here.

zzprop: I don't have a clue if the original stock chip that came with the UNO is loaded with optiboot or not I'm sure somebody knows.

If you select Uno in the Menu the IDE indeed expects a chip with Optiboot. Aka, a Uno has Optiboot

zzprop: Should I reload the bootloader with the one that came with the IDE software on my computer?

You can always try. But maybe the chip isn't loaded with Optiboot but the older bootloader. Try selecting Arduino Pro Mini 16Mhz from the menu.

septillion: You mean the regular 1s blink pattern? Then yes, they are working. Are they? You didn't give us a link to the product so we're in the dark here. If you select Uno in the Menu the IDE indeed expects a chip with Optiboot. Aka, a Uno has Optiboot You can always try. But maybe the chip isn't loaded with Optiboot but the older bootloader. Try selecting Arduino Pro Mini 16Mhz from the menu.

Here's the link

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=2129334&storeId=10001&krypto=vFgRhKXJZKuM8sLfuPRmxv3tw%2BNp1UpMVks4N7ZnwCVw9NQYE0zZJg%3D%3D&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Ok Pro Mini works, Can you tell me why just for info? I Wonder why Jameco say's it loaded with Optiboot. It even says it is set up for UNO. My UNO came from Arduino so I know it is not a fake.

Great thanks. So I guess if I want to be consistent then I need to redo the bootloader on my Jameco chips for the UNO so all my chippie's will be the same for the IDE to be set for the UNO. Or just remember to change it if I need to reprogram. Don't know how I would have figured this out with out your help. Love ya man

ZZ

zzprop: Ok Pro Mini works, Can you tell me why just for info? I Wonder why Jameco say's it loaded with Optiboot.

If Pro Mini works then it's the olddddddd bootloader (which is for some reason still the default on Pro Mini's....) So they just give you wrong info / are plain stupid. My guess, they buy them for cheap in China and some Chinese made a mistake (or does not care/know).

zzprop: So I guess if I want to be consistent then I need to redo the bootloader on my Jameco chips for the UNO so all my chippie's will be the same for the IDE to be set for the UNO. Or just remember to change it if I need to reprogram.

I would do the first but you need a crystal and caps for that (or another Uno that has that already for you). The Optiboot is better, smaller and faster then the old bootloader. First thing I do when I get fresh Pro Mini's is burn Optiboot (aka the Uno bootloader).

zzprop: Don't know how I would have figured this out with out your help. Love ya man

Great I could help :)

Sorry it took a while to get back but I have everything I need to build two stand alone Arduinos for a couple of Amateur Radio projects.
It’s all good now. Have the bootloaders on both of the chips I bought, tested, and on the way to finishing up my projects. Thanks again Sep

ZZ