Oscilliscope Suggestions

Apologies if this is not the right place for this question but I wasn't sure exactly where it fit.

I'm looking at investing in an oscilloscope. Currently, I'm a student, so money isn't exactly flowing like water. There's a lot of different options out there, so I thought I'd come to you all for some advice.

Any leads on 2nd-hand or economical units would be much appreciated. Also, any personal experiences on why you like certain units (or dislike others) would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Chase

What are you planning to do with the scope?

I use a Rigol DS4034, expensive, but Rigol has less expensive models you might want to look at.

A freind has picked up some Tektronix 465 analog scopes from eBay that are still in great working condition.

Look into a Saleae:

A Logic Probe maybe something to look at too. (or a led with series resistor)

Thanks for the response LarryD

I'll check into those.

Finals are over so I've got a little time to tinker again.

I'd like to use it to check the output of a linear CCD sensor. Besides that, I'd just like to use it to learn about electronics.

-Chase

Rigol looks like a quality brand and I found a few decent priced units on ebay.

The Rigol you listed is definitely out of my league haha.

As for the Saleae, I found that very interesting. I watched a few videos and it seems like if I were to get a logic analyzer I would still probably run into situations where I would need an oscilloscope?

What do you think? I don't feel like I even really know enough to fully understand what I need.

I did like simplicity of the logic analyzer and could see how it would be immediately beneficial/educational.

I think Crossroads has a link to a PC based scope. calling Crossroads, 8)

The top two Saleae units can do analog -10 to +10 volts, but only 5mhz band width though.

There are threads here where others also have asked for scope recommendations, maybe do a search.

Time to start looking at a: DVM, logic probe (even a LED with series resistor), inexpensive PC scope, inexpensive analog scope, logic analyzer, digital storage scope.

Take a look at YouTube for scope tutorials.

I got a UNI-T 50MHz 500MS/s digital scope on eBay around Christmas 2015 and so far it has done everything I need as a hobbyist. The model I have is a mid-range one for Uni-T and it works pretty well. I am expecting this will do me for quite a while before I need to consider a more expensive one, if ever.

Thanks for the second opinion Marco. I bit the bullet and went with the Rigol DS1102E because I found them on clearance for a pretty good price.

I think it will suit my current knowledge level for quite a while. I'm interested to see if having this will suffice or how soon I'll need to invest in a logic analyzer as well.

I'm starting a new internship on Monday that will be heavily electronics/sensors focused, so I'm excited to start digging in.

Good for you if you can go for the Rigol up front.

You might want to look at a really inexpensive option for a logic analyzer in the meantime. PulseView is an open source analyzer based on Sigrock http://sigrok.org/wiki/Main_Page that uses usb data collection modules like this one Logic Analyzer w/ Lines and USB Cable for SCM - Black - Free shipping - DealExtreme (just add these http://www.dx.com/p/logic-analyzer-test-clip-black-5-pcs-236270#.Vy7dFfl95hE) and others that are listed on their web pages. It takes a little bit of fiddling to install the drivers to work with the software (all well documented by them).

I found what they have is really useful and you can't beat free (or really cheap) until you can afford a more professional setup.

Good luck with your internship!

Man,

That thing is super cheap and has great reviews. Thanks for the awesome suggestion. If I find myself needing one soon, I just might have to pick that one up for the price.

In an ideal world I'd love to get a Saleae, mostly for how seamless their software seems to perform. I know you can use some of the older versions of the software with different logic analyzers, but ethically, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

So, I'll just have to wait until the Rigol isn't making such a dent in the pocketbook...

This hobby is slowly draining my bank account :wink: ... Could certainly be spending it on worse things however haha.

Maybe too late now:
My son's college requires all the engineering students to buy one of these:

Student price was $99 at the time I think, be sure to ask that if you are a student.
Ho ho, there's a link right on the same page:

Son says it worked very well.

I myself have a Saleae 8-channel logic analyzer, and a GWInstek GDS-2204A, a 4-channel, 200 MHz digital scope that I like a lot. Big 8 inch screen. Made in Taiwan, but not inexpensive:

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/Oscilloscopes/Digital_Storage_Oscilloscopes/GDS-2000A

http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGDS-2204A.html?gclid=CI2oiN3pyswCFQFahgodcaMOew

Thanks Crossroads,

I actually had run across the Discovery Logic Analyzer your son is using. I am a student and the student price has increased to 149.00 (from an old PDF I found). Saleae also offers the same student price for their comparable model.

The Saleae student price is on a sliding scale, as the equipment gets more sophisticated, the student discount gets smaller... I think it's only 10% on their fanciest model.

Regardless, all good things to consider when I find myself needing a Logic Analyzer.

Question:

If I want to see a I2C communication signal to better understand it, both devices are capable, correct? It's just normally a little easier on the Logic Analyzer?

Thanks!
-Chase

I use the Saleae Logic 16, similar to the Logic 8, both have I2C, SPI and Decoding of TTL Asynchronous (RS232).
Very useful when you need to take a closer look at things.