Power supply issue

I am building a automatic water supply project. But, I am facing problem with Power supply. The noise is making Arduino hang and reset.

I have

  1. Ultrasonic sensor- 2x,
  2. Relay- 1x,
  3. Water level sensor - 1x,
  4. LCD display 16x2 - 1x,
  5. Active buzzer - 1x,
  6. Passive buzzer - 1x,
  7. LED(5mm) - 5x,
  8. Arduino UNO - 2x,

For power supply

  1. 5V mobile charger - 3x, (500mA, 700mA, 1A)
  2. 12V charger - 2x, (5A, 1A)
  3. Capacitor - 5x, (470uF)
  4. Capacitor - 2x, (1000uF).

How should i supply the power?
Whare should i place the capacitor?
What is the ground loop?
How do i create common ground?

You may find that you also need some valve or pump.

You can power the Uno from 12V provided that your relay is a 12V relay. But if you use a 5V relay, there is danger of burning the Uno's regulator because it will need to supply 5V to the relay, which will require a high current. In that case, you must use 2x power supplies (5V + 12V) or get a MOSFET module to replace the relay.

This happens when? I can't see any components in your list that would cause significant noise.

I don't see a need for it.

Connect the ground wires.

Why do you have so many power supplies involved (5 in total...)?
How is tgat all connected?

Yes, I am also using a motor(3.7-6v) and powering it with a separate dc 12v battery(Trough buck converter). I am using 5V relay through 5v mobile charger.

I suspect this is an inventory of components that @dhimansarkerady has available, and may not all be required.

What is the motor for? Did you mean to say pump?

If your pump is 5V compatible, why are you using 12V battery and buck converter? Why not use another 5V PSU?

I do not think we can help you fix the hanging problem without knowing the specifications of these components and how they are connected. Please post your schematic diagram.

No, I am using all the components.



Thanks for posting those photos. The situation is now very clear, and the malfunction was inevitable.

Disconnect everything and start over.

Use only one Arduino

Use 2x 5V PSU. One for the Arduino and one for the pump and relay.

Use a flyback diode.


This is the diagram. (Maybe the picture is blur. I am sorry for that.)


This is the diagram. (Maybe the picture is blur. I am sorry for that.)

Arduino Uno smd hasn't enough pwm pin for all the module. That's why i have used 2 arduinos.

Arduino uno smd hasn't enough pwm pin for all the modules. Thats why i have used 2 arduino uno.

The relay has already a built in flyback diode. Should i use one more?

Please check diagram the relay and motor have separate power supply. Does it need the flyback diode?

Which modules require PWM pins? I do not see any that require PWM.

Your diagrams are clearly incomplete, many component's terminals are not connected, so it is difficult to answer that question accurately.

The diode you indicated with an arrow is the flyback diode for the relay's coil. The flyback diode I mentioned is for the pump.

Assuming your diagram is accurate in this respect, a flyback diode for the pump may not be required because the pump has it's own power supply which does not have a common ground with the rest of the circuit. However, because of your hanging problem, it may be worth testing to see if a flyback diode for the pump is helpful. I cannot say this for sure because your description of the hanging problem is also incomplete.

See this topic

Is it needed to specify the voltage rating of the capa?

No.