Powering arduino nano with 220v ac to dc

Not really unfortunately. In that case I better use a 5V phone charger to power the arduino and the modules?

5V @ 600mA should be more than enough current. Use 220uF electrolytic cap on output and 1A fuse on imput
3W series ac dc power module datasheet V2.9.pdf (514.5 KB)

I have at home 5A fuse - is that also suitable or better getting 1A?

I also have 500mA slow blow fuse (I could seriese two of them to get to 1A ?

Edit2: I will just buy 1A fuse...

I think fuses behave more like capacitors. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Yes

European plugs can enter the sockets in two ways. So you never know which wire is line or neutral!
So I agree with the double pole switch relays.
Those relays are also the most standard, so it should be no problem to find one.

That makes sense.
Would be nice if you can find some usb socket with plug and cable.
Those might be rare (none in our drawer).

UK plugs are polarised with an offset earth/ground pin, so insertion always puts the correct pins into the socket.
The plug also is fitted with an HRC fuse on the live/hot pin.
Though it's perfectly possible to wire up the socket and the plug incorrectly.
Moulded on plug and cable help prevent incorrect plug wiring.

Back in the old days, the US had a two prong plug and didn't have the wider neutral blade at first. This was especially problematic when manufacturers would ground the neutral side of the AC line to a metal chassis and the user managed to force the newer plug into an old socket.
Later when the three prong plug was introduced, many places didn't replace the two prong outlets and you saw a lot of cords with the earth prong cut off. You can still buy an adapter that relies on the user to attach the earth connection to the outlet box (not guaranteed to be grounded) so switching both sides would be worthwhile.

A warning to all! Just because a relay housing says it is rated for 220 volts or higher does not apply to the module or any part of it! Look for a module that says the module is rated for the voltage you want.

Smart plugs are cheap and come in all technologies 433MHz, WiFi, Alexa, etc.
Much safer for a beginner.

The Arduino can generate the required signals to switch the plug on/off.

The WiFi models can be controlled with a smartphone.
They also have timers and sunrise/set switching included.
"Clap" is something we used in the eighties. Things have progressed...

I want to read a book in the bed without the smartphone next to me. the light is far away to get up and switch it off/on therefore the clapping circuit :slight_smile:

"Alexa, turn the light off" ... :rofl: :rofl: ( Or something else similar to 'Alexa')
Every thing else needs a device in your hand ( what even 'clap' didn't need :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:) ...

Since you're installing a fuse on the 220V side, a 500mA fuse or even less (250mA) will be fine. You should always select a fuse as close to the rated current as possible, without any reserve.

If your output is 5V 1A, then the 220V input will definitely be less than 0.2A, regardless of the unit's efficiency.

Should I connect the the Line wire to the common of the relay before of after the fuse?

before:

after:

Before. The fuse is for protection in case the AC-DC module or anything connected to it fails.

Do you have 3 prong plugs as you show in the schematic?

del

What do you mean by extra?

Yes I'm using powerconn plug like this

This bring me to the next question - should I leave the Ground wire floating or should I connect like this:

No I meant the AC line outlet on your wall that you plug into.

Nothing, sorry, it was a wrong message, posted by mistake