Powering Arduino with a buck converter

Hi,
Has anyone got some experience on powering an arduino using a buck converter?
I plan on using the ADCs on the chip.

Would I need any filtering circuits? if so can someone recommend somewhere that has some reference designs or if anyone has some they have used before.
Thanks

Some ADC chips can handle noise on the power lines.
What kind of converter and ADC chips do you have in mind ? What are the ADC chips for ? A load cell requires something different than a current sensor.

mrjonny2:
Hi,

Would I need any filtering circuits?

That will depend a lot on what load you're placing on the buck converter, what signals you're reading, what accuracy you need ... all sorts of things that you're not telling us.

mrjonny2:
Hi,

Would I need any filtering circuits? if so can someone recommend somewhere that has some reference designs or if anyone has some they have used before.
Thanks

Yes, it definitely makes a difference compared to battery power (note that USB is
already buck-converted and usually noisier than any purpose-built supply due to
all the switching noise from your computer/laptop). Proper filtering involves
RFC and bulk capacitance.

With battery power and a slowly changing input to the ADC you can see each
step of the response very clearly, with a cheap DC-DC converter and little bulk
capacitance there is 1 to 2 LSB of noise. Good filtering should make a difference.
(This was with a standalone custom board, not an Uno which does seem to have a good
bulk capacitance).

I am asking as everything I am doing is custom.

This is the DC/DC converter I will be using. I want as clean a signal as possible. I checked the simulations in LTSpice and my ripple is about 27mV for my 3.3V supply and 3.6mV for my 5V supply.
Would you say that is clean enough for adequate performance?