Problem uploading, can't open device "\\.\COM8": Access is denied

I’m using a Arduino NANO with ATmega 328. Recently the reset button on the board broke off. I thought it would not make any difference since I can use reset pins available with the board 8) . But unfortunately(I guess), the damage is also made to printed path from ATmega 328 pin 29(Reset pin) to some pin of USB to Serial Chip :’( . Or It could be some other problem also. ::slight_smile:

since then I’m facing an error while uploading any sketch.

The erroe message:

(Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Nano, ATmega328”

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM8”: Access is denied.

Problem uploading to board. )

Please help me short this problem out.

While it's possible that a broken trace to reset could cause the upload to fail, it shouldn't cause that specific error message. That indicates that some other program has COM8 open. This can even happen if you have multiple instances of the Arduino IDE open and the Serial Monitor or Serial Plotter is open in the other instance. Try restarting your computer.

I had a similar problem just using the local IDE in Ubuntu 64, which I solved with this:

try just using the local editor first, I fixed it there and I still have the problem with the web editor.

My Pro Mini doesn't require a hard reset, it automatically resets when I upload a new sketch to it

good luck