Problem with my speedometer code using hall effect sensor.

Hello all,

I am working on making a speedometer that is mounted on a snowmobile. The diameter is based on the brake rotor. What I wanted the code to do is show the speed (mph) of the rotor in the serial monitor. What actually happens is that the code spits out some weird numbers. I have attached a photo of the output. Someone said that I should take an average of 10 measurements and then serial print it, but I would think the speed would still be off because of the vast differences in the numbers. I connected the hall effect sensor’s ground to the ground on the Arduino. The sensor is plugged into the 5v port on the Arduino. Then the input wire has a 10k ohm resistor in the spot of the load. The black wire is connected to digital pin 2. I have attached the wiring diagram of the Hall effect sensor.

Have a good day and thanks for reading.

#define PI 3.14159
 float diameter = 0.00009121; //miles
 float mph;
 volatile byte half_revolutions;
 float rpm;
 unsigned long timenew;
 unsigned long timeold;
 //unsigned int magnet_detect;
 boolean flag=false;

void setup()
 {
   Serial.begin(500000);
   attachInterrupt(0, magnet_detect, RISING);//Initialize the intterrupt pin (Arduino digital pin 2)
   half_revolutions = 0;
   rpm = 0;
   timeold = 0;
   Serial.println( "I am Speeed");
     //Serial.println( "I am Speeed 2");

Serial.println(half_revolutions);
 }
 void loop()//Measure RPM
 {
   if (flag) { 
     timeold=timenew;
     timenew=micros();
     rpm=60000000.0/(timenew-timeold);
     mph = rpm * (diameter * PI) * 60;
     Serial.println(mph);
     flag=false;
   }
  //delay(10);
 }

void magnet_detect()     //This function is called whenever a magnet/interrupt is detected by the arduino
 {
   half_revolutions++;
   flag=true;
   Serial.print("detected. Speed is: ");
   Serial.println(mph); 
 }

hall effect sensor diagram.JPG

(deleted)