Problems with IR sensor VS1838B

Hallo,

Several month ago, I connected an IR remote control with an IR receiver found in an arduino kit. The setup was very simple, I used the one you can find using the following link: Arduino Infrared Remote Tutorial : 7 Steps - Instructables

However, I lost the receiver and could not remember the specific type I used. So I decided to order 5 pieces of VS1838B, which basically looked the same.

I set up the same circuit, but noticed that I was not able to receive codes on the serial monitor. In addition, the IR receiver was very hot, so I think that it is not working anymore. Now I did what I should have done before building a circuit with the receiver: I had a look at the datasheet (VS1838 datasheet(1/3 Pages) ETC2 | Infrared Receiver Module). I am not sure, but it seems to me that the receiver has to be connected to several additional resistors and capacitors (page 1 of the datasheet). Additionally, VCC, GND and OUTPUT are not the same order compared to the tutorial.

I took a new receiver and set up the circuit from the datasheet. Now the serial monitor outputs randomly Hex-Codes. I do not need to use the remote control. For the resistor >20K, I tried 22 kohms as well as 100 kohms. No difference.

Some further Boundary conditions:

• I use an Arduino Uno
  • The code I use is the following:
#include <IRremote.h> 
int RECV_PIN = 11;
IRrecv irrecv(RECV_PIN);
decode_results results;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  irrecv.enableIRIn(); // Start the receiver
}

void loop()
{
  if (irrecv.decode(&results))
    {
     Serial.println(results.value, HEX);
     irrecv.resume(); // Receive the next value
    }
}

Additionally, I loaded the IRrecvDump example from the library. It keeps saying that the received codes are unknown. Makes sense, because the HEX codes are probably random noise.

I tried three remote controls: The one of the arduino kit I mentioned and two Samsung TV controls.

If it is of help, I could also make a photograph of my circuit. But perhaps there is something generally wrong with my setup? Do you think that the receivers I ordered are broken? Do I need a special type of remote control? How do I find out if my remote control fits to the receiver? How do I get rid of the noise?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am sorry, I have to update my post:

I just noticed that the sensors I ordered are mounted on a PCB with another connector setup as mentioned in the datasheet. After changing my circuit, the receiver reacted to all remote controls correctly, although there were a lot of hex codes displayed for one button press and they still were not reproduceable.

However, after adding the 100 ohms resistor from the datasheet (other components were neglected), there was only one code displayed after pressing a button and this one is reproducible.

So it seems that the problem is solved, but I would still be happy if someone could comment on the components mentioned in the datasheet. Why do I have to add them or at least the resistor?