Programming ATmega32 with a Serial AVR ISP programmer

Hello all!

I am beginning some work with the Arduino platform by trying to use a custom ATmega32 board. I have created a new platform folder called "mega32", have written a new "boards.txt", and have derived an appropriate variant with a custom "pins_arduino.h". All those modifications work pretty well since I am able to compile the "Blink" example perfectly.

My problem starts here.
I have an ISP programmer and so I do not want to use any bootloader on the board since I do not need it. My programmer is a Serial to ISP adapter based on a ATtiny2313-20PU and a MAX232 IC, and it uses a 10-pin ISP connector. I bought it on eBay some years ago. In the Arduino IDE if I select the "AVR ISP" programmer, the sketch is not burnt into the micro and it gives the following error:

Taille binaire du croquis : 1 014 octets (d'un max de 32 768 octets)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x3f

If I open AVR Studio 4 then "Tools > AVR Prog" and I put the generated Blink.hex file in here, it works like a charm: my LED is blinking! Still in AVR Studio 4, I select "Tools > Program AVR > Connect", then choose the platform "STK500 or AVRISP" with port "Auto" or "COM1" and it says "Connect failed". I am sure of the port COM1 because when I choose COM2 in the Arduino IDE it gives no response:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I must say that my 2 COM ports are physical RS232 connectors on my (old) motherboard, not USB to RS2332 adapters or such things.

In all that operations, I do not really know what protocol or COM port does the "AVR Prog" use because it is not editable... Does somebody know that information? Is it possible for me to use normal AVR Studio programming process? And how to configure the Arduino IDE in order for my programmer to work with it?

Thanks in advance to all of you who can help.

AVRprog.jpg

AVRprog - Advanced.jpg

Connect failed - Select AVR Programmer.jpg

All those modifications work pretty well since I am able to compile the "Blink" example perfectly.

That the compiler didn't have any issues provides no assurance that the pins_arduino.h file or the boards.txt file are correct.

I am sure of the port COM1

It is unlikely that your board is actually connected to COM1. Even with nothing else connected to any USB port, I never get anything below COM3 as the Arduino port.

The way to tell is to have nothing connected to the PC. If COM1 still appears in the list of ports available, using whatever method is appropriate for your operating system, then it is NOT the port that the Arduino (clone) is connected to. If you don't have a USB to Serial chip on the clone, and it appears that you don't, then the COM port number is completely meaningless. Your programmer might be emulating a serial port, so the available COM port numbers should change as you connect and disconnect the programmer.

Thanks PaulS for your answer.

PaulS:
It is unlikely that your board is actually connected to COM1. Even with nothing else connected to any USB port, I never get anything below COM3 as the Arduino port.

May be my explanation was confusing. I have no USB-Serial adapter of some sort connected on my computer, COM1 and COM2 are hardwired serial ports with DB9 jacks on my motherboard.

PaulS:
The way to tell is to have nothing connected to the PC. If COM1 still appears in the list of ports available, using whatever method is appropriate for your operating system, then it is NOT the port that the Arduino (clone) is connected to. If you don't have a USB to Serial chip on the clone, and it appears that you don't, then the COM port number is completely meaningless.

I cannot remove COM1 and COM2 ports, so they will always appear in the ports list.

PaulS:
Your programmer might be emulating a serial port, so the available COM port numbers should change as you connect and disconnect the programmer.

Nop, this is a true COM port, not an emulated one. COM ports number 1 and 2 are fixed.

Information on my ISP programmer can be found in the following websites:

I am afraid to see that this programmer has apparently only been designed to work with AVR Prog. I do not know what AVR Prog is doing different than avrdude... May be somebody has this type of programmer and has managed to have it work with avrdude. If so, please tell me!