Project Electric Motorcycle

Hello all, I have an electric motorcycle and I am hoping to make some modifications and improvements on it with Arduino.

First of all I want to create artificial motor noise. I will do this by using an adafruit wave shield wired in parallel with my potentiometer throttle to adjust the playback speed of a specific looping sound file. The arduino audio output will be wired to my bike’s amp and audio system.

I also want to use the arduino to have custom horn noises using the wave shield.

Finally I want to use the same board to control a 12v solenoid. I know arduino only has a 5v max pin so would I use a relay? How do I decide what relay to get? Is it feasible I can do all of these tasks on a single board?

Thanks

5dollarjoe:
Finally I want to use the same board to control a 12v solenoid. I know arduino only has a 5v max pin so would I use a relay?

You could use a relay, MOSFET, or a simple transistor. Depends on the solenoid's specs. Like current needed..

Is it feasible I can do all of these tasks on a single board?

Don't see why not. As long as it's not an ATtiny series, but could do it with those, just more hardware.

Hello all, I have an electric motorcycle......First of all I want to create artificial motor noise.

I have an electric bike too, and one of the things I love about it is the peace and quiet - no engine noise. Why would you want to add it? (I wouldn't call it an improvement.)

We used to do it on bicycles as young kids by using a clothes peg to hold a playing card so that it struck the spokes as the wheel turned.

OldSteve:
We used to do it on bicycles as young kids by using a clothes peg to hold a playing card so that it struck the spokes as the wheel turned.

Wow, I remember those days… Damn, I’m getting old.

codlink:
Wow, I remember those days.. Damn, I'm getting old.

Ha. Yeah, our age is showing. :slight_smile:

OldSteve:
Ha. Yeah, our age is showing. :slight_smile:

Yeah, and tow the wooden toy boats/hydroplanes behind those same bikes. Definitely getting old we are !!

gpsmikey:
Yeah, and tow the wooden toy boats/hydroplanes behind those same bikes. Definitely getting old we are !!

Things have come a long way - from wooden toy boats and playing cards as bike engines to Quadcopters and Wii.

Hi,
I would consider the noise idea for an electric vehicle is basically essential for safety reasons.

Example.
You are walking down your street past drive ways, what is one of the ways you know that someone is backing out of the driveway? (Especially a manual gearbox car?)

You need walk between two parked cars, if you can hear an engine from either or both, will you walk between them.

Car sounds on a silent electric vehicle, Great idea.

We have not realized how much we rely on car sounds to alert us to their intentions, until the ipod was invented.
The sound level could be regulated, you wouldn't need MegaWatts and a 5ltr V8 sound. (Although . . . )

Tom.... :slight_smile:

1 Like

When on foot, sound doesn't help as much as you might think. Modern cars are extremely quiet anyway, and it's really eyesight that gives warning rather than sound, in terms of cars backing out of driveways or even travelling down the road.

A reverse beeper on an electric car would be a good idea, but unnecessary on a bike of course. Other than that, a simulated engine sound on an electric bike would need to be fairly loud before it was useful, particularly in suburban areas and business districts. Meantime, internal combustion engines get quieter by the year.

Some time ago, I remember seeing some discussions on requiring some sort of noise maker on electric vehicles because of issues in parking lots with pedestrians etc. While the newer fueled cars are indeed very quiet, you can hear them when they start - the noise of the starter etc. Electric vehicles have no such noise - they just suddenly start moving (and too many "drivers" don't bother to check for anybody around before they simply start driving). Perhaps a compromise would work where the electric vehicle made some noise at very low speeds or for a few seconds when starting but then went to the normal quiet mode would work. They can certainly surprise people. Now what I would want for an electric motorcycle would be the sound and feel of a big diesel like in a train (with the horn to go with it). :slight_smile:

and too many "drivers" don't bother to check for anybody around before they simply start driving

Then that's the problem, not the vehicles making enough sound. It's like saying a bicycle needs to make noise because they are quiet as well. Or even people walking in parking lots. I always look behind and scan the area for people walking when pulling out of a parking place. I have also been the walker and someone just backs out almost hitting me. Doesn't mean that we need a law that walkers need noise makers. It means that people behind the wheel need to be aware of their surroundings.

codlink:
Then that's the problem, not the vehicles making enough sound.

That's pretty much my point. If people have to rely on the sound, often it's already too late.

Making a noise sounds like a good idea, but in reality it's eyesight that's relied on 100% in those situations.
Hearing isn't very directional, and is extremely poor at measuring distance. No one 'listens' for cars before crossing a road, (not if they want to live, anyway). We all 'look' for cars.

I understand how the situation of an electric vehicle backing out of a driveway could catch a pedestrian unawares, but that only applies to electric 'cars', and this is/was a discussion about electric bikes.

I've ridden my electric bike everywhere for 5 years now and never had an issue due to someone not 'hearing' me coming. I've definitely had many close calls where car drivers didn't see me coming, but no more than I used to have when riding internal combustion bikes. And sound would have made no difference in those situations.

After getting nearly rammed of the road at an intersection where I had the right of way, I feel having noise projected at all times is best. I will also be pointing the speaker forward so that the sound isn't behind me like on a conventional exhaust pipe. People are idiots, but any sound that sounds like what I'm planning will turn heads in any situation.

I've got the wav shield built but I keep getting this annoying error!

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x76

Happens with whatever example program I try. I don't understand why this board is acting up my friend tested a helloworld led program like 2 weeks ago on it.

Unfortunately, yes, people are idiots - just look at the number of people out there with headphones on that never look at traffic, simply step off into the crosswalk “because they have the right of way and you have to stop for them”. My preference is to remove warning labels and let evolution clean the gene pool a bit, but we can’t do it that way, so the trick is to try to make it so as few people get run down as possible and the noise of “starting” is one way. I always try to look everywhere before backing out of a parking space for example, but often, there is something parked beside you that blocks your vision and even backing out slowly can hit someone that is trying to watch their kid, talking on the phone, picking their nose or whatever. My preference is to not hit someone if I can avoid it, even if it is their fault for not watching. Whatever can help that cause I’m in favor of.

YAY! got it working with my potentiometer throttle, now to download some star wars sound fx.

https://vimeo.com/157723392

https://vimeo.com/157723369

Now I need to try getting custom horn noises assigned to buttons, and make a button switch audio for the artificial motor noise.