Proximity auto killswitch

Dear friends.

I need good technical suggestions regarding a project of mine. Please note no alternative solutions needed. He project is:-

I have a machine that is being operated by different operators not at the same time. THe machine needs to be supervised at all times. I need to connect a bluetooth module (HC05) to arduino board. Then 3 other bluetooth devises (android phones) mac address to be stored on the arduino. Reason being 3 different operators. I dont need any killswitch button just a programming code then when any of the 3 external mobiles are out of range i.e. 10 meters from the hc05, he arduino will automatically kill power to the machine and the machine stops and when the operators are within range of hc05 then he machine begins operations.

This is the exact operation i need so kindly help and again i do not need any kill switch or app to switch on the off the machine. Just this concept.

Thanks and regards

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

How do you aim to measure distance, signal strength is not just dependent on distance but also the environment.

Having a machine turn OFF is probably okay , but you still need a mechanical E-Stop.

Having the machine turn back ON with the signal is a BIG NO NO, how do you know that someone without a BLE unit is not at the machine.

Have you passed this concept by the OH&S or safety committee of your organisation.

I service overhead crane remote controls, if the signal drops out the crane stops, but it needs a proper mechanical operation to restart the crane. OH&S.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi tom

Thanks for the advice regarding he forum.. will keep it in mind for future.

Regarding your questions

Signal strength will be by default distance range of hc05 i.e. 9 meters

Only the authorized ble mac address which will be programmed into the arduino can access the control program i.e. switch off if out of range and switch on if within range.

3rdly i own the organization so i need to run this program. The machine is not some high tech or crucial piece of equipment.

I only need to use the code for a prototype project.

The concept was taken from a kids remote control car. The remote is stationary and wen he car is out of range of the remote control, the car stops. Same concept. Only difference.is the machine is stationary and wen ur bluetooth devoce is out of range amd no signals between he 2 bluetooth device then arduino automaticall shuts power to the machine.

Yazi79:
Signal strength will be by default distance range of hc05 i.e. 9 meters

The signal strength is dependent on more than just distance;
If the worker has the BLE in his pocket and it is facing the machine, that signal strength will be different if he turns around, bends down, or someone moves between him/her and the machine.
I strongly advise you make it so that the system will not automatically turn on when the operator comes back into range.
What is the machine concerned?

One of those long range rfid cards with the cut out in the control circuit would be a better approach.
Like the units used in hospitals with the wristband.

Once within range machine could be restarted manually.
Again, no guarantee of any "exact" range as it depends on the environment.

Other than that a 9 metre piece of string. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
The signal strength is dependent on more than just distance;
If the worker has the BLE in his pocket and it is facing the machine, that signal strength will be different if he turns around, bends down, or someone moves between him/her and the machine.
I strongly advise you make it so that the system will not automatically turn on when the operator comes back into range.
What is the machine concerned?

hi tom, range and signal strength is no problem that is one parameter. What would the coding be?

Yazi79:
What would the coding be?

Nobody knows what the coding would be. You haven't even come up with a complete concept yet. What components are you going to use? Which Arduino board? How are you going to power everything? Etc, etc, etc. All of which will change the code.

And even after you decide on components and have a feasible concept, folks here don't write code for you. They help debug code that you write. Of course, if you don't want to learn to code, there is the Gigs and Collaborations forum. The folks there will be glad to write the code for you. For a price.

Yazi79:
The concept was taken from a kids remote control car. The remote is stationary and wen he car is out of range of the remote control, the car stops. Same concept. Only difference.is the machine is stationary and wen ur bluetooth devoce is out of range amd no signals between he 2 bluetooth device then arduino automaticall shuts power to the machine.

I wish I could do that with my kids car where did you see that with car stopping when out of range? I’d like to put on my kids car too