Question about mapping using the VL53L1X sensor

Hey!

I have a VL53L1X optical sensor for distance detection,The sensor sends the distance readings to the Arduino and it in turn sends the distance readings through the HC-05 Bluetooth sensor to the PC, I collect its distance readings and try to represent with them some kind of map of the area it sees using Matlab software, I do this by rotating the sensor on a servo motor by 180 degrees, the degrees of the servo together With the reading of the distance I convert to the form of a Cartesian axis system. The problem is that when the sensor detects an object in front of it, it draws its edges and boundaries in a continuous conical shape together with the background behind it and not in separate sections that are more suitable for the background in relation to the object. what could be the problem? It may be related to the viewing angle of the sensor which is too large and needs to be reduced? If so, how do you do it?

I use this module: Pololu - VL53L1X Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor Carrier with Voltage Regulator, 400cm Max

I am attaching a picture to illustrate the matter:

I get the following drawing:

On the other hand, this is what I would like and wish to receive:

I suspect the sensor has quite a wide field of view or beamwidth. This will have the effect of giving the average distance over a range of angles.

Perhaps this could be fixed by putting a lens or beam collimator in front of the sensor. But a lens would have to work with the wavelength of light that the sensor uses. An ordinary optical lens may attenuate the wavelength of light used by the sensor, but it could be worth experimenting to find out.

?What types of lenses are used for such things

A lens that is made of a material that is transparent at the wavelength used by the sensor.

According to the data sheet, the sensor uses a laser which produces light of 940nm.

This is in the infra-red spectrum, outside the visible light spectrum. But only just outside, so there's a chance that optical lenses might still work.

UVVISNIR_1__ResizedImageWzYwMCwzNTld

I understand what you're saying but I've never dealt with sensor lenses so I have no idea what kind of lenses they are and what they look like so I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for, but I'll try to look.. thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.