[Question] Building a 3.3v - 12v audio amplifier with TDA-2030A Class AB amp

Hello,

I'm interested building a variable audio amp that can work with voltages from 3.3V to 12V with the
TDA-2030A

So far I've been looking for such a circuit on google but with no luck only found some circuits for 15V -28V.

Can anyone provide me with one or it just might no possible to operate it with less than 15V

Thanks for paying attention

[u]Texas Instruments[/u] has a pretty good selection of audio amplifier chips. I'm mot sure what goes down to 3.3V, but there are chips that run of 5V and lots that will run from 12V.

Do you know how power is calculated and the power implications of low voltage?

Power = Voltage Squared/Impedance.

With 3.3V you can get a maximum peak-to-peak swing of 3.3V. (In reality there will be voltage loss in the amplifier.) 3.3V peak-to-peak is about 1.2V RMS, so that's less than a half a watt into 4 Ohms. (Half that power into 8 Ohms, and 4 times that power if you make a bridge amplifier).

I was just hoping to make a small little variable amplifier with my tda- 2030 to accept audio output from my arduino with 5V and if not possible with 12V.

I assume the TDA2030A can run from 5V. If you have the chip, try it!

Scanning the datasheet I didn't see a minimum voltage and I didn't see anything about the output voltage swing VS power supply voltage. There is a graph of power output vs supply voltage and you might be able to calculate/estimate the "voltage loss" from that.

An LM380 or LM386 is probably easier to use. The LM386 is designed to work down to 5V (or 4V depending on the variation).

DVDdoug:
I assume the TDA2030A can run from 5V. If you have the chip, try it!

Scanning the datasheet I didn't see a minimum voltage and I didn't see anything about the output voltage swing VS power supply voltage. There is a graph of power output vs supply voltage and you might be able to calculate/estimate the "voltage loss" from that.

An LM380 or LM386 is probably easier to use. The LM386 is designed to work down to 5V (or 4V depending on the variation).

Thanks that helped a little but still I don't realy understand those amplifiers and I cand design my own sins I don't have the knowledge or a good scope so that's why I was asking for a direction or some tutorial to how to design a class ab amp with that chip.

The data sheet for the chip suggests appropriate external circuitry. The minimum supply voltage is 12V.

Why not just build this kit?

Add a boost output power supply if you want more output, to take the 3.3V to 12V supply up to decent levels for the amplifier.
Example, Pololu.com has several models that will boost an output to higher levels from a low voltage. Remember that power out (V x A) = power in (V x A) - efficiency losses.

The switching regulators switch at high frequency that should be above audio frequencies, and if not you will need to isolate the two sections with a shield and put additional filter caps on the power supply output to clean it up. (small values to filter out high frequencies).

jremington:
The data sheet for the chip suggests appropriate external circuitry. The minimum supply voltage is 12V.

Why not just build this kit?

I don't build this kit because I don't have the component's :-X that's why I was looking for a 12V circuit for that TDA2030 IC...

It sounds like you don't have the components to build a TDA2030 amplifier, either.