RC car controlled by computer keyboard using Processing problems

Hi guys, I'm new here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a bit of a problem with an rc car which i am controlling through Processing and can't tell where it needs to be fixed.

So I wired each individual control on the remote (up, down, left, right) to its own pin on the board and when I send the pin LOW it runs. (When the control is grounded it triggers and the car moves.)

While it does work I'm having a bit of a problem with Processing and was hoping someone might be a genius in that department. I have WSAD set up as my controls but say i hit right and up at the same time triggering the car to go forward and turn right, when I let go of right, the car will stop even though I'm still holding down the up key.

I've added my code to see what you think and like I said anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Arduino Code:

const int right = 13;
const int left = 12;
const int reverse = 11;
const int forward = 10;
const int forwardLeft = 10 + 12;
const int forwardRight = 10 + 13;
const int reverseLeft = 11 + 12;
const int reverseRight = 11 + 13;

int incomingByte;

void setup() {                

pinMode(forward, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(reverse, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(left, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(right, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);  
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  // see if there's incoming serial data:
  if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    // read the oldest byte in the serial buffer:
    incomingByte = Serial.read();

if (incomingByte == 'w') {
      digitalWrite(forward, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 'w + a' {
      digitalWrite(forwardLeft, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 'w + d') {
      digitalWrite(forwardRight, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 's') {
      digitalWrite(reverse, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 's + a') {
      digitalWrite(reverseLeft, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 's + d') {
      digitalWrite(reverseLeft, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 'a') {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
      digitalWrite(left, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 'd') {
      digitalWrite(right, LOW);
    }

if (incomingByte == 'A') {
      digitalWrite(forward, HIGH);
    }

digitalWrite(reverse, HIGH);
    }

digitalWrite(left, HIGH);
    }

digitalWrite(right, HIGH);
    }
  }
}

and Processing code:

import processing.serial.*;       //use the Serial library
Serial myPort;                    // Create object from Serial class   

void setup() { 
  size(200, 200);                                  //set window size to 200 by 200 pixels
  String portName = Serial.list()[0];              //list serial ports, save the first one as portName
   myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[15], 9600);     //initialize the serial port object
}

void draw() {                    //this is like the 'loop' section of code on Arduino
  background(255);           // set background color
  if(keyPressed) {                                                                                            //if a key is pressed, do the following
    if (  key == 'W' || key == 'w'  ){     println("FORWARD"); myPort.write(key);  println(key);     }  

}

if(keyPressed) {                                                                                            //if a key is pressed, do the following
    if (  key == 'S' || key == 's'  ){     println("REVERSE"); myPort.write(key);  println(key);     }   
  }

if (  key == 'A' || key == 'a'  ){     println("LEFT"); myPort.write(key);  println(key);     }   
  }

if (  key == 'D' || key == 'd'  ){     println("RIGHT"); myPort.write(key);  println(key);     }  
  }

else {

println("OFF");
    myPort.write('A');  // Send "L" over serial to set LED to LOW
 }
}

These ‘w + a’ are not doing what you think they are doing. You can’t just add chars w and a together, it goes outside the ASCII range.

If you want to be able to go forwardLeft/Right, or same in reverse, then you need to either assign each letter a binary value (1,2,4,8), or send two chars, one after the other like so.

Binary: Get two values,then send out (value1 & value2). calculated from transmitting end
W/w = 1.
A/a = 2.
S/s = 4.
D/d = 8.

Kinda the same method, but slightly different. calculated from receiving end
Double Char:
WW = forward
SS = reverse
AA = left
DD = right

AW or WA = forwardLeft
DW or WD = forwardRight