Replace 12V potentiometer with Arduino

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

So I have a 12v dc motor and connected power module. The speed of the motor is controlled by a 10k pot.

I want to remove the pot and have arduino control the speed instead. I know I can't connect the 12v directly to my Arduino and the signal will probably be analog in nature (simulating the turning of the pot).

I was thinking an optical-isolator. Buy everything I find wants to control a relay. I see talk of a triac. Would that work?

And what about the circuit itself? Or is there a shield out there I'm missing? I don't think a PWM solution would work in this situation, or would it?

Thanks again for any assistance given.

So I have a 12v dc motor and connected power module.

Whose identity you wish to keep a secret? Come on, you must have read the rhubric for this
forum, full details of the hardware up-front please.

Transistor

Resistor! Beer! (Or isn't this a random word topic.... ::slight_smile: )

I doubt you will be able to use that speed module. You will probably need to make your own speed control or buy one that accepts PWM from arduino.

MarkT:
Whose identity you wish to keep a secret? Come on, you must have read the rhubric for this
forum, full details of the hardware up-front please.

Er, it's an old motor and controller from sources unknown purchased at a garage sale over a year ago. Receipts can be provided if you really think secret agents would be interested.

Other than that reply, thank you everyone. I kinda suspected I'd have to ditch the controller, but hearing it confirmed helps.

Thanks.

Titanium69:
Er, it's an old motor and controller from sources unknown purchased at a garage sale over a year ago. Receipts can be provided if you really think secret agents would be interested.

Other than that reply, thank you everyone. I kinda suspected I'd have to ditch the controller, but hearing it confirmed helps.

Thanks.

You've got a receipt from a garage sale over a year ago? I'd like to see that, lol.

Maybe you could replace the potentiometer with a digital potentiometer, such as this one, which could be controlled by an Arduino.

He can't use a digital pot until he measures the voltage across the terminals. Most digital pots don't work over 5V. (some do)

raschemmel:
He can't use a digital pot until he measures the voltage across the terminals. Most digital pots don't work over 5V. (some do)

Yes, of course that provision applies.

Turn the pot with a servo. If more than 180 degree of turn is desired, get a sail winch servo.

dmjlambert:
Turn the pot with a servo. If more than 180 degree of turn is desired, get a sail winch servo.

This could work, but why not controlling the motor with the arduino itself?

This isn't the first time a poster has tried to convert one of those cheap ebay pot controlled motor speed controls. I don't recall how the other posts turned out.