RF keyfob linked to arduino? is this possible?

Hi,

Hopefully someone might be able to help me out with this.

I bought an RF 4channel remote and receiver off eBay and I would like to use it to make my arduino into a RF receiver in effect.

The remote is just a RF remote with 4 buttons

The receiver is a RF receiver chip with 4 pins, gnd, vcc, data, ant. This is soldered onto a board with relays and screw terminals.

My question is that if I buy a RF receiver off eBay for example that is the same frequency and looks exactly the same, would I be able to get the RF tx and rx to pair and receive unique codes for each button press? Anyone else done something similar?

Thanks.

RF remotes are similar to IR remotes: because there are so many around, manufacturers have resorted to making them slightly different (minor variations in frequencies and protocols) so they won't interfere with each other (much :)).

Which also means that the odds are against you if you pick two (say) "433MHz" receivers at random.

You could use what you already have, by hooking up the relays contacts like pushbutton switches (including putting debounce code in your program). Or, possibly, by tapping into that "data" pin on the receiver: you need to find out what's coming out of that pin by getting a datasheet for the receiver and/or the decoding chip on the board. Another possibility is to hack the receiver hardware: there may be transistors driving the relays, and you could tap into the digital signals driving the bases of those transistors (just make sure the receiver and the Arduino are running off the same Vcc).

If you want to shop for a different receiver, start by finding out what chipset the one you have is using. Then you can look for something compatible.

This is the documentation I have, except that the frequency is RF315A - that's what it sais on the fob anyway.

My application is to basically make a central conveniance system for my car using the arduino because then I can say for example press ubtton C on the fob and the headlights will come on and stay on for 30 seconds (like coming home lights so you can see your front door) or press C then D in sequence and the boot will open etc.

....or just so I can use my arduino in my car :D haha.

The sort of information we need is:-

I bought an RF 4channel remote and receiver off eBay and I would like to use it to make my arduino into a RF receiver in effect.

Post a link to what you bought.

This is the documentation I have, except that the frequency is RF315A

Do you mean that is the only documentation you have? RF315A is not a frequency although it might stand for one.

You give us very little to go on.

Your best approach it to treat it like an IR remote and try and sniff out the codes. There are plenty of examples on how to do that.

Just as a guess it's a 315MHz transmitter. Something like this . . . http://www.robotshop.com/seeedstudio-315mhz-rf-low-cost-transmitter-receiver-pair-3.html might work as a receiver - but at this point it's just a guess.

Why not just get Rx/Tx set from sparkfun and make up your own remote & arduino/receiver? Is dirt simple to do. Arduino such as a promini (or clone) at 8MHz MO-SAWR, WRL-08946 TX couple of AA batteries some buttons or a keypad

In car MO-RX3400, WRL-08950 RX some arduino couple of AA batteries, or power from car battery via stepdown regulator