Rotation with no Movement

Hi All,

I have built an RC Arduino car. I do not have geared motors, and I am running it off of 6, 1.5V batteries. Everything works well when the car is off the floor - the motor and wheel turns.
Once I put it on the floor, it just spins. The motors spins - and the wheel, but the car would not move.

Would GearedMotors be a possible solution?

If the wheels are just spinning, it sounds more like a traction problem to me. You could use tires with better traction. You might also see if you can slowly accelerate the wheels, rather than immediately jumping to a high RPM.

Thanks. I tried adding traction to the wheels - still the same issue.
Unfortunately my remote app only has on/off - so I cannot do the gradual increase. I can look into this option though.

So the wheels spin and just slip over the surface you mean?

Not an Arduino issue. Mechanical failure. Not enough grip, other wheels that are stuck, or something else that physically prevents the robot from moving.

wvmarle:
So the wheels spin and just slip over the surface you mean?

Not an Arduino issue. Mechanical failure. Not enough grip, other wheels that are stuck, or something else that physically prevents the robot from moving.

That is correct, the wheel just spins very fast. All the wheels are free. So you think it might be just the wheels then?

Are the other (unpowered) wheels turning?
Does the wheel even touch the ground?
Anything else stopping your car from moving?
That's the kind of questions you should ask yourself.

wvmarle:
Are the other (unpowered) wheels turning?
Does the wheel even touch the ground?
Anything else stopping your car from moving?
That's the kind of questions you should ask yourself.

Thank you - I have confirmed all of the above. So I am gathering that this likely has nothing to do with power, or the geared versus non-geared motor - it might just be the wheels?

I will try some new wheels.

Yes it's the wheels or the surface you're trying to run on. Polished floors are bad, carpets or short dry grass are better.

Steve

This ---> "Does the wheel even touch the ground?"

Does the car touch the ground anywhere but the wheels? The belly, the grill, the tailpipe, a small piece of wire, anything?

Bigger wheels? Glue sand to the treads or put rubber cement around the treads?