Rover 5 Project

Hi All,
I have a few questions but thought I would post some photos of this project. First, I should mention that I really don't know what I am doing :slight_smile: Actually this all started about one year ago when my son got a Lego NXT set. I've been playing with it ever since. I actually got an autonomous report to roam around the house for 43 minutes without getting stuck, a record.

The filmy-ness of anything very large with Legos, however, as led to this affliction. It's a rover 5, dago motor controller, arduino Mega microcontroller and some breadboards, so far. The common Pin))) sensor is sitting atop a pan/tilt head from Sparkfun. At the top of the dowel is an HMC6352 breakout board. The compass wouldn't work without some seperation from the rest of electronics. I wired a LCD in thinking it would be helpful for bebugging, not really turning out to be that useful. Finally, I have written a simple library for the rover motors (RoverMotor.h), that allows them to run using NXT type parameters (-100 = full reverse, 100=full forward, 0=stopped. And the constructor allows you to predefine them as reversed.)

So a few questions:

I have made the libary so it's able to monitor the draw of the motors, but not read the encoders. Can somone explain the wiring for these? I get the black & red part :slight_smile:

If I can get that piece working would anyone be interested in the RoverMotor library? I'm happy to share and/or collaborate.

Finally, can I drive the rover motors at something more like 8 or 9 volts? They say they are rated for 7.2 yet the dagu controller is good for 12. Curious if anyone has tried.

Best,
Greg

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo4.JPG

Does the motor controller provider power to all four motors. I assume you got the you got the 4 motor/4 encoder version of the rover 5.

Mark

Yes, four motors. I got it running around a bit.

Best,
Greg

Sorry about the bad photos. Here's a bad video