SD to USD (Yes I have Looked Everywhere I Know To Look)

OK,

First of all i have read countless forums projects of people trying to be able to access the SD card connected to their Arduino project WITHOUT having to remove it. I have yet to find any clear answer. It has to be possible to make the SD card be read as a storage device while still being connected to the board itself even if you needed to have a DIP switch to switch between modes. Can someone please point me in the right direction (hopefully examples of this in other projects, hopefully commented well, with clear delineation - it is how I learn the best). I have seen some of the coolest and brightest minds looking through the projects you people have made but I have finally run in to a problem I can't crack! I look forward to all of your responses and thank you for letting me join the community!

You’ve left out all the important details, like what type of Arduino. It’s also not entirely clear what you want. If you want what I think you want, to be able to plug in an Arduino to the USB and see the SD card like you would a USB drive then for most Arduinos what you want is impossible. They can’t act as USB host devices.

gonebuthere:
First of all i have read countless forums projects of people trying to be able to access the SD card connected to their Arduino project WITHOUT having to remove it. I have yet to find any clear answer.

By "access the SD card without removing it" would I be correct in guessing that you mean "access the card on some device other than the Arduino it is connected to without removing it from the Arduino"? What device? What kind of 'access'?

Would I be correct in guessing that you mean you want to plug the SD card into an SD card slot on another device without first removing it from the SD card slot connected to the Arduino? That seems like a long shot.

Would it be sufficient to have a program communicate with the Arduino through a serial connection and send commands to read the SD card contents through the Arduino?

Delta_G:
You've left out all the important details, like what type of Arduino. It's also not entirely clear what you want. If you want what I think you want, to be able to plug in an Arduino to the USB and see the SD card like you would a USB drive then for most Arduinos what you want is impossible. They can't act as USB host devices.

When you say "most" what does that mean?

johnwasser:
By "access the SD card without removing it" would I be correct in guessing that you mean "access the card on some device other than the Arduino it is connected to without removing it from the Arduino"? What device? What kind of 'access'?

Would I be correct in guessing that you mean you want to plug the SD card into an SD card slot on another device without first removing it from the SD card slot connected to the Arduino? That seems like a long shot.

Would it be sufficient to have a program communicate with the Arduino through a serial connection and send commands to read the SD card contents through the Arduino?

What I would like to do is have to SD act as a mounted USB drive. I've read up on USB/SD shields but to no avail have I found anything. I just find it hard to believe someone hasn't ran into this problem before and found a solution. Especially considering the amount of storage a simple SD card can provide.

Most means a large majority of something. There are only a few Arduino that can act as a USB host device. You still haven't said which one you have.

Also, thank both of you for taking the time to reply and try to lead me in the right direction.

Delta_G:
Most means a large majority of something. There are only a few Arduino that can act as a USB host device. You still haven't said which one you have.

pro micro

gonebuthere:
What I would like to do is have to SD act as a mounted USB drive.

Do you mean that you want to connect an SD Card to an Uno and then connect the Uno to a PC with the usual USB cable and allow the PC to treat the SD Card as a USB drive through the Uno?

If so, I don’t believe that is possible. The PC will see the Uno only as a serial connection.

You could write a PC program that would send commands to the Uno and write a program for the Uno that would respond to those commands, take data from the SD card and send it to the program on the PC. However it would be a lot of trouble and would be painfully slow.

You have not told us anything about the project you are trying to implement so it is impossible to make useful suggestions. At the moment this is an XY problem.

I wonder if an Arduino Yun might be suitable as it has a microSD slot and the Linux side of the Yun can read the card as a mass storage device.

…R

Robin2:
Do you mean that you want to connect an SD Card to an Uno and then connect the Uno to a PC with the usual USB cable and allow the PC to treat the SD Card as a USB drive through the Uno?

If so, I don't believe that is possible. The PC will see the Uno only as a serial connection.

You could write a PC program that would send commands to the Uno and write a program for the Uno that would respond to those commands, take data from the SD card and send it to the program on the PC. However it would be a lot of trouble and would be painfully slow.

You have not told us anything about the project you are trying to implement so it is impossible to make useful suggestions. At the moment this is an XY problem.

I wonder if an Arduino Yun might be suitable as it has a microSD slot and the Linux side of the Yun can read the card as a mass storage device.

...R

I have a pro micro/Leonardo.. also i have Catalex Micro SD Card adapter. now of course i can read information and write information to/from the sd card this isn't the problem i want the device to be as user friendly as possible. So by the flick of a switch you can have the Arduino Pro Micro Redirect as a USB device. I know in this instance a Raspberry Pi would probably be more effective. However, I also like learning how different chips and boards act with one another and getting my hands dirty and building it is the true way of learning something in my opinion.

gonebuthere:
I have a pro micro/Leonardo.. also i have Catalex Micro SD Card adapter.

As I have no idea whether a Catalex Micro SD Card adapter is intended to connect to an Arduino or to a PC I can't make sense of your Post.

In the first paragraph of Reply #7 I tried to describe in simple language what I thought you meant. As I seem to have got it wrong (which does not surprise me) please write an equivalent simple correct description.

...R

Robin2:
As I have no idea whether a Catalex Micro SD Card adapter is intended to connect to an Arduino or to a PC I can’t make sense of your Post.

In the first paragraph of Reply #7 I tried to describe in simple language what I thought you meant. As I seem to have got it wrong (which does not surprise me) please write an equivalent simple correct description.

…R

You were right. Yes I would like to connect a Micro SD card to Arduino… I am doing that with a Micro SD Card Adapter connected to a Arduino Pro Micro/Leonardo. The Arduino would then be connected to the PC. As I have mentioned, I can read/write to the SD card (Through Arduino). That is not a problem. The SD card being read by the computer as an external drive is the specific issue I am having.

Micro SD Card → Micro SD Card Adapter → Arduino → PC

The SD card being read by the computer as an external drive is the specific issue I am having

That's the bit you can't do because the PC will never be able to see it as a USB memory stick. Too many layers of protocol are in the way.