Seeking advice and validation

Good day arduino community,

I hope this post finds you all well. I am writing this post to ask for suggestions and validate if my idea for a school project is feasible or not. So my plan is to design a project incorporating a current sensor and GSM module. The aim is to install this system in series between a circuit breaker and loads. Here's the flow:

The system will monitor the current flow within the circuit, and if it surpasses the rated ampere of the circuit breaker (what I understand is that if the current exceeds the rated ampere, the circuit breaker will trip, right?), the system will send an SMS notification that the circuit is experiencing an overcurrent which possibly has fault like short circuit of overload and if the breaker indeed tips off, the current sensor will now read 0 current flow since the circuit breaker switch is open it will send a follow up message that the breaker triggers and needs human interaction.

I also want to test the system in a 12v DC set up with a 2 loads since i am afraid to test it our house cause i might cause an explosion :smiley: (will simulate short circuit) . I recently searched that typical MCB are designed for high voltage circuits so i am thinking on using fuse on the 12v DC set up (is this enough to simulate the concept of MCB > system > load?)

if you are going to sense high voltage AC currents the simplest way is to use a non invasive clamp such as the SCT-013 which comes in various current ratings
it clamps around ONE of the load supply leads and is a lot safer than attempting to break into the cable

if testing the concept on a low voltage DC system there are MCBs on EBAY etc
also have a look at acs712-current-sensor-and-arduino-a-complete-guide

1 Like

Connect a 5 volt converter across the fuse. When fuse has blown the adapter 5 volt can power Your circuit.

1 Like

Thank you for your inputs, sir @Railroader. I will look more into your suggestions sir.

Use a small wall wart and measure the voltage, when the breaker trips your signal will go away. Easy and no messing with the mains wiring etc. This can plug into any outlet on that circuit but your system needs to still have power when the breaker trips.

1 Like

Thank you for your inputs, sir @horace . The SCT-013 is a news to me. I will consider on using the current transformer but I will try first the ACS712 as I have already ordered a piece.

and for the testing of the concept in a low voltage DC set up, what's on my mind is I will be having loads of 2x DC light bulbs only and I will be intentionally short circuit one of the bulbs. Based on my research, MCB is less likely to trip off on this set up, so I am thinking of using a fuse an an alternative. Is this test enough to satisfy the purpose of my project and for presentation purposes, sir?

EDIT: I just realized I dont have to do a short circuit for my testing, I just have to manually trip off the breaker assuming that a short circuit occurs, as the effectiveness of circuit breaker is not a scope of my project. (please confirm if this is true :smiley: )

I have searched up what a wall wart is as I am not familiar with the term and this approach is really clever sir. Thank you for your input sir, @gilshultz

1 Like

Sending an SMS will be rather tricky when the power is gone I think.

1 Like

I am thinking of powering each of the components with their own 5v, sir as I have read that sim800l is a power hungry module. those 5v will be drawn from a 12v power source in which I will use to power the uno (a friend of mine told me its fine as they connected their board directly to a 12v too). But the question is where can i get the power to connect the 12v to.

From batteries maybe. When the power is available the batteries get charged. Watch out for overcharging.

1 Like

Here is what is wrong with that plan! If there is no appliance or light or anything turned on and using the power, then NO current is flowing and you will never detect a blown circuit breaker. Your breaker will open in just a few milliseconds of overload and the overload could be 1,000 Amperes for that single cycle of your mains power. So to be able to do your project, your program must sample the current many times per second and since your power is alternating to zero current each cycle, you can't sample that fast.

1 Like

Im sorry but I understand only a fragment on what you replied sir @Paul_KD7HB . I totally missed that if there is no load turned on then the the system will falsely notify that the breaker is open. But based on what I understand on the rest of your reply is that instead of reading the current flow, I should read the voltage of the circuit, sir?