Send and receive data from Arduino to SerialPort

Hey guys!

So, I am trying to develop a project with a friend which basically consists in a keypad 4x4 matrix connected to an Arduino
where some people are able to open a door using their own pin number. My friend is developing the electronic part and I will develop the software using c# programming language.

The software will only be able to send and receive data from/to the Arduino. The users are created and written trough the Arduino interface and then my software will send that information to a database with some fields(Name, Date/Time, Open or Close). Example: Michael - 24/10/2016 12:19:23 - Opened or Closed.

What I wanna know is how my application will react after user type his pin and click "enter" to open the door if the pin is the correct one.

I would like to know if you guys have any kind of help.

Thanks and have a great day.

RekcsGaming:
What I wanna know is how my application will react after user type his pin and click "enter" to open the door if the pin is the correct one.

Isn't that something for you to decide as part of the design of your system?

When you refer to "my application" do you mean the Arduino program or the C# program?

...R

Robin2:
Isn't that something for you to decide as part of the design of your system?

When you refer to "my application" do you mean the Arduino program or the C# program?

...R

The situation where I am at is how my application(c# program) will read when the user opens the door.

RekcsGaming:
The situation where I am at is how my application(c# program) will read when the user opens the door.

That is not at all clear.

If I understand the issue properly your Arduino program needs to send a message to your PC program probably using Serial.println(""); or something similar and your C# program needs to be listening for that message.

I am no longer familiar with Windows but getting C# to communicate with an Arduino over a serial (USB) connection should not be difficult.

…R

What I am thinking is creating a Windows Service which is constantly reading data from the arduino and will write it into a database or written in a notepad

RekcsGaming:
What I am thinking is creating a Windows Service which is constantly reading data from the arduino and will write it into a database or written in a notepad

For advice about that you need to ask on a Windows programming Forum.

...R