Sensor that detect fall

Hello,

I am searching for 2 sensors.

1: A sensor that detect fall. I made a robot that is riding in my room, I have a staircase that goes down. I am scared that my robot will fall of the staircase. Is there a way to detect "staircase" ?

A sensor that detected a fall would be useless for stopping your robot falling down stairs, don't you think ?

You need a downward facing sensor at the front of the robot that can sense the distance between itself and the floor. When that distance suddenly increases stop moving forwards immediately. If the robot can move in many directions then you need sensors at each point on the edge of the robot that might move over the stairs

In increasing sophistication, ultrasound, structured-light, LiDaR, CV?

LiDaR and structured light both generate point-clouds which is probably the simplest reliable approach, computer vision has many other uses such as SLAM. Down-facing ultrasound is definitely worth a go though, very simple processing requirements - floor missing?, stop!

Use a long hinge lever microswitch that trips when it's over the ledge and stops the robot.

franksecurity:
Hello,

I am searching for 2 sensors.

1: A sensor that detect fall.
I made a robot that is riding in my room, I have a staircase that goes down. I am scared that my robot will fall of the staircase. Is there a way to detect “staircase” ?

Let me suggest you this cheap short-range distance sensor (there are many others obviously)

as other users said above, it should work if you put it in front of your robot