Sensor to detect parked car in the street (water resistant)

cover an ultrasound sensor with a clear dome and attach it on the ground, when it finds something closer than say 2 feet for example, and it stays there for say longer than 1 minute, a car is parked.

Kiwi_Bloke: definitely what Bluejets said, these sensors are gaining popularity everywhere, but i am not sure how you will incorporate the RFID reader [u](in NZ the Mobility Parking permit is assigned to the person NOT the car.[/u]

I manage a security company, we sell a long range access card reader solution but it is very expensive and best suited to gates or driveways.

Same here in Australia. Tom... :)

Well, if making disabled people carry more things for a project with zero roi doesn't trigger your concern....

Pi running openCV, read license plates. If this is a place of business with a clientele of known and expected patrons, it'd be slightly less silly of an idea.

INTP: Well, if making disabled people carry more things for a project with zero roi doesn't trigger your concern....

Pi running openCV, read license plates. If this is a place of business with a clientele of known and expected patrons, it'd be slightly less silly of an idea.

I'm disabled, legally in my country (chile) i have to carry an id card that i have to put in the windshield in order to park in exclusive parking spots, no one respects the exclusivity of these spots, is very hard to find unoccupied spaces so i'm sure if this is implemented properly it could be a very good idea to ease the inspection of wrongly parked cars, it's a problem that has to be fixed, so if i HAVE to carry an id card it would be much better to carry the same card with the ability to identify me as a disabled person with a machine. The return of investment is not zero the municipalty can get money by ticketing wrongly parked cars, it would be much cheaper than dedicating human resources to inspect these spaces.

123Splat: If you can put it in the pavement, why not use an inductive loop (think metal detector), like the big boys do?

Mmedina_student: I read about this and i think metal detectors can only detect it in a short range, is that true?

I have seen such loops in use all over the place to regulate traffic lights (so the timing adapts to actual traffic volumes), so it can be done quite well.

The loops look quite big - based on the lines in the asphalt, like 1.5x0.5mm. Cars have enough steel in them to be detected this way.

I'm starting to prototype the technical stuff of the project, my teacher told me it would be better to do this via 2g, 3g or 4g, currently i'm doing this with an ethernet shield to a local server.

So is there a shield that can do the same think ethernet does via 2g, 3g or 4g?