Sensor to detect parked car in the street (water resistant)

I need to be able to detect a parked car in the street, so there's two critical things to think about, one is the position of the sensor and the second is the sensor itself.

The first thing i thought is to put an ultrasonic sensor in the pavement, but the problem with this is that this sensor has to be exposed to rain and an ultrasonic sensor is not water resistant...is it?

So the question is: what other kind of sensor might work to detect a car?, maybe a metal detector?

an ultrasonic sensor is not water resistant..

I'm pretty sure the ones mounted on my car are.

Mmedina_student: The first thing i thought is to put an ultrasonic sensor in the pavement, but the problem with this is that this sensor has to be exposed to rain and an ultrasonic sensor is not water resistant...is it?

The waterproof ones will be just fine dealing with water.

They won't be fine, however, in autumn when all the leaves start to fall off the trees and on the sensor. The sensor would work much more reliably mounted on a pole on one side of the parking spot, somewhat protected from the environment.

An ir distance sensor. When the car gets close enough and stays there for a period of time you can set it that a car is parked but leaves won't interfere. Cover it with like some sort of cover

What about a camera looking out from your bedroom window?

...R

Robin2: What about a camera looking out from your bedroom window?

...R

That may be problematic in an area with deciduous trees. Or Buffalo, NY.

If you can put it in the pavement, why not use an inductive loop (think metal detector), like the big boys do?

dougp: That may be problematic in an area with deciduous trees. Or Buffalo, NY.

Chainsaw :)

...R

Sensor system used here..... Look up frogparking dot com

123Splat:
If you can put it in the pavement, why not use an inductive loop (think metal detector), like the big boys do?

I read about this and i think metal detectors can only detect it in a short range, is that true?

Please describe the layout in useful detail. Is this just one parking spot? Is it marked parallel street parking? What are your options for placing your device, trees or buildings or fences? Does it need to survive being run over? You need to understand that we are not you. We don't know your parameters which you take for granted. The help you get is only going to be as good as the quality of question you ask. As of now you're not asking for help very well.

Mmedina_student: I need to be able to detect a parked car in the street, so there's two critical things to think about, one is the position of the sensor and the second is the sensor itself.

The first thing i thought is to put an ultrasonic sensor in the pavement, but the problem with this is that this sensor has to be exposed to rain and an ultrasonic sensor is not water resistant...is it?

So the question is: what other kind of sensor might work to detect a car?, maybe a metal detector?

My first question would be why do you want to detect it? also is the car always parked in the same spot? How will you get cabling to the parking spot or sensor location?

Ground loops are probably the most common method of vehicle detection, most traffic lights use them to determine traffic flow, carparks use them for everything from signaling car coming warnings to holding barrier arms up until the vehicle has passed. I have also seen systems that detect if a door is opened even if the vehicle does not move (used in truckstops to detect if a vehicle gets broken into)

As I said previously…

https://frogparking.com/Home/FrogSensor

The idea is to develop a system with 2 main objectives.
1- to inspect cars that wrongly use the disabled exclusive parking spots so with the help of an rfid card and the parking sensor people can identify themselfs as disabled if they park in the exclusive parking spot but do not identify within x time, police can be delivered to the place and give the drivers a ticket.
2- the other main purpose is to develop a mobile app so disabled users can see in a map where is the nearest not occupied parking spot.

definitely what Bluejets said, these sensors are gaining popularity everywhere, but i am not sure how you will incorporate the RFID reader (in NZ the Mobility Parking permit is assigned to the person NOT the car.

I manage a security company, we sell a long range access card reader solution but it is very expensive and best suited to gates or driveways.

Cars without disabled plates can still park in disabled spots if they are transporting someone who is disabled, or waiting for someone who is disabled. People with temporary disabilities will not have placards or license plates. Someone using their own car to transport a disabled individual is legal to use such spots. There is no way for an automatic system to monitor 'legitimate' uses of the parking spots.

bluejets: As I said previously....

https://frogparking.com/Home/FrogSensor

Ok that's exactly the system i need to develop, this project is for my thesis so i can't just buy a service, i need to develop it, from which i understood the sensors can't be bought, they come with the implementation of the service.

INTP: Cars without disabled plates can still park in disabled spots if they are transporting someone who is disabled, or waiting for someone who is disabled. People with temporary disabilities will not have placards or license plates. Someone using their own car to transport a disabled individual is legal to use such spots. There is no way for an automatic system to monitor 'legitimate' uses of the parking spots.

Yes there is a way, you can give a rfid card to every disabled person, that's a huge logistic, nightmare but possible in theory.

So are you abandoning the idea of detecting a parked car?

INTP: So are you abandoning the idea of detecting a parked car?

The rfid card is one thing to detect if the parked car is related to a disabled person, the car parked detection is another thing to detect the parked car, so no i'm not adandoning the idea.

Let's just focus this thread on the parking detection part, once i have that figured out i'll tackle the other problems.