Soldering leads to arduino to finish up?

Hi,

At the end stage of my first arduino project. How do I permanently affix the wires to the pins? Do I drop a bead of solder on it even though it's plastic? Or a drop from a hot glue gun? What do you usually do?

Thanks,

I get strips of male pin headers. You can get long strips and snap off sets of the desired size. I then plug the male pins into the female sockets on the Arduino board and solder to the part of the pin that would normally be soldered into a circuit board. Some hot-melt glue can help insulate the connections.

If you put dabs of paint on your female headers and corresponding dabs on the male headers it makes it easier to remember how to plug the connectors back in if yo ever need to dis-assemble the device or swap out the Arduino, for example if your code grows too large.

drwhofan:
What do you usually do?

make a board or put it on perfboard after I have a extra AVR to loose

Ah, that's why they were recommending I buy those male leads! I honestly did not get why. Thanks both, for the info.

I get strips of male pin headers. You can get long strips and snap off sets of the desired size. I then plug the male pins into the female sockets on the Arduino board and solder to the part of the pin that would normally be soldered into a circuit board

Sorry, I don't understand you mean a pin header like this, right?
How do you solder that to the inside of the Arduino female pin? it has plastic all around!

How do you solder that to the inside of the Arduino female pin?

You realize this is the male part that fits the arduino socket, right?

Just solder your wires to the short end of the header pin, use some heat shrink or hot glue for insulation and strain relief, and you've got a custom cable.

-j

Like this:

solder-male-headers.jpg

Or you could use something like this - much cheaper than an Arduino and no annoying header strips...

today I removed the female plastic for the pins and after getting something as the Diavolino as fungus is showing us then I soldered the cables directly to it
I think that is better than gluing them

This may be a bit off topic but I always thought ideally you would transfer your code on a compatible AT microprocessor that you can solder to your final PCB and get rid of all the paraphernalia that make the Arduino board so useful for project development.
According to these websites the transfer is pretty simple.

http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695

The point of those tutorials is to show how to shrinkify your project if you don't need a lot of I/O ports (and you can do with a subset of instructions available for your sketches) but I don't see why you could not do the same with real big AT MCs.

I am not nearly close to "finalize" a project so maybe I am saying something incorrect. Am I?

:relaxed: