Ok maybe I am not understanding my own circuit. I have 2 batteries, 1 that runs the Vcc and Gnd for the shift registers, which power the LED array, and another set of +- that power a radio receiver.
Now, when I wire them up everything works perfectly. LEDs are bright, radio receiver works etc.
If though, I remove the battery that powers the registers and LEDs, I still get the LEDs working but just much, much dimmer. Could this be a solder problem or do the registers actually do the linking?
If I try to ground the 1 battery to the other, it kills the LEDs until I put it back to disconnected or grounded to its own battery pack.
When trying a transistor, it works well with the switch but when I use a multimeter, I still get a current from the collector to the emitter, regardless of the "control" circuit. This means that the battery is draining, yes?
What am I doing wrong here?