SOLVED ESP8266 Library - current version?

I recently upgraded from Arduino 1.6 to 1.8.3

I think originally I had screwed up installing the library but everything worked. Now when I compile my sketch, this is what I get:

Error compiling for board WeMos D1 R2 & mini.
Invalid library found in C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32: C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32
Invalid library found in C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\D1_mini_Examples: C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\D1_mini_Examples
Invalid library found in C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32: C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32
Invalid library found in C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\D1_mini_Examples: C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\D1_mini_Examples

Under additional boards manager, I have:
https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-board-index/package_adafruit_index.json
http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
http://arduino.esp8266.com/versions/2.3.0/package_esp8266com_index.json

So, how do I clear out the error codes? Should I delete the library/Libraries and reinstall them?
Do I need to delete the 1st esp8266 "stable" index.json entry?

Thanks in advance.

I'm back... I deleted both. closed out IDE, then found this tutorial.
A Beginner's Guide to the ESP8266 Thanks Pieter!

Added back: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
Everything seems to work fine now.

Playing around with OTA and a library called esphelper from:

The errors are back:

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 7), Board: "WeMos D1 R2 & mini, 80 MHz, 921600, 4M (3M SPIFFS)"

In file included from C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\OTArelayControl\OTArelayControl.ino:29:0:

C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ESPHelper\src/ESPHelper.h:43:19: fatal error: Metro.h: No such file or directory

#include "Metro.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board WeMos D1 R2 & mini.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Just wondering.... Should I have completely deleted the old version(1.6) first?

What would happen If I copied the whole Arduino folder somewhere else and then uninstalled Arduino IDE and reinstalled it? Then, moved the folder back in? Is that the correct way?

There is only one error:

fatal error: Metro.h: No such file or directory

That just means you need to install the library that contains Metro.h

All these messages about invalid libraries are just warnings. They're trying to tell you that you have things in your libraries folder that are not libraries. Though you don't specify which "1.6" version you upgraded from, my guess is it was prior to the addition of the invalid library warning to the Arduino IDE (~1.6.4 or older). So you always had some garbage in your libraries folder but you just weren't getting a warning about it before. The invalid libraries don't actually cause any problems, other than slowing down the library folder scanning process a little, but they also aren't doing you any good. There are actually only two invalid items, the warnings just get repeated multiple times for some annoying reason:

marine_hm:

Not being able to see the contents of these folders, I can only guess but I suspect this is the ESP32 core for Arduino. That is a hardware package, not a library. You must install hardware packages to the hardware subfolder of your sketchbook (C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\hardware). Move or delete the folder C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\arduino-esp32 to fix the warning. Note that if you want to install that hardware package you must follow the installation instructions exactly, which will not result in a folder named arduino-esp32.

marine_hm:

I'm guessing these are sketches, not a library. Sketches are only to be located in the libraries folder if they are part of a valid library. Move them to any convenient location on your computer that is not a libraries folder or delete them to fix the warning.

Note that these issues are completely unrelated to your installation of the ESP8266 hardware package.

marine_hm:
Just wondering.... Should I have completely deleted the old version(1.6) first?

That is unrelated to these issues. If you used the "Windows Installer" download of the Arduino IDE both times then the previous installation will be automatically uninstalled when you install a new version. If you use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" then you can install as many versions as you like and keep the previous versions around if you want or delete them.

marine_hm:
What would happen If I copied the whole Arduino folder somewhere else and then uninstalled Arduini IDE and reinstalled it? Then, moved the folder back in? Is that the correct way?

Unclear which folder you are talking about but I think I've already explained the issue and what you need to do.

Pert;

Yes, I got it all straightened out. Was using 1.6.4 I believe. After a whole lot of reading. I spotted Pieters explanation of libraries or maybe from Adafruit, BUT; says the file must not contain dashes. The Arduino--ESP32 download from a month ago while I was contemplating the new board. Since I'm not ready for the leap, at least not yet. I deleted the library and those errors went away.

I don't know how the Metro.h file got in there. I need to pay closer attention when I move files. Moved it to my sketch folder and now a clean upload without error codes.

Are these good? I think this was my original thought as to what was wrong:

Should I be using one and not the other? Or are they both valid?

Thanks

marine_hm:
BUT; says the file must not contain dashes.

That's outdated information for an old version of the Arduino IDE. Sketches and libraries can now have dashes, no problem.

marine_hm:
Since I'm not ready for the leap, at least not yet.

Yeah, I'm waiting until they actually do an official release of the Arduino hardware package before I consider messing with the ESP32. Unfortunately things seem to be moving pretty slowly. That's understandable with a volunteer project but it was my understanding that Espressif was supporting work on the Arduino hardware package. It seems like getting that past a beta state would really help their sales.

marine_hm:
Are these good? I think this was my original thought as to what was wrong:

Should I be using one and not the other? Or are they both valid?

You should only have the first one in your preferences. The second is specific to the 2.3.0 release and using that one will cause you to not get notified when there is a new release available for installation, the first will be updated with all releases. I'm not sure what happens when you have both but the second is not doing you any good so best to get rid of it.