[SOLVED]How many amps is needed to power the Yun?

I was looking at battery packs on the web, I wanted to decide on one, but how many amps is needed to power the Arduino Yun? I tried using one from Radio Shack with 2200 milliamps, but that wouldn't work. How many amps is needed to power the Yun?

EDIT: The battery pack was out of power :/ I charged it now it works

I wouldn't call this solved. I'd still like to know how many amps is needed to power a Yun. I tried driving one off of a 7805 -- nothing else on the circut -- and it just blinked error codes and made the 7805 hot enough that I could smell it.

thataintworking:
and it just blinked error codes and made the 7805 hot enough that I could smell it.

Sounds like you might not have had something hooked up right?

There is a nice Linux board comparison article on the AdaFruit site. This page talks about power consumption: Power Usage | Embedded Linux Board Comparison | Adafruit Learning System which looks to be about 250 to a bit less than 300 mA for the Yun with no shields. That should be well within the capabilities of a 7805, but it’s probably a good idea to put a heat sink on it depending on the input voltage.

thataintworking: I wouldn't call this solved. I'd still like to know how many amps is needed to power a Yun. I tried driving one off of a 7805 -- nothing else on the circut -- and it just blinked error codes and made the 7805 hot enough that I could smell it.

Considering that you can power a Yun just fine from a standard USB 2.0 port on a PC, it means that a general answer is "less than 500mA", as that is the maximum output of a USB 2.0 port by definition of the USB standard...

Ralf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Charger-Battery-Doctor-Mobile-Power-Detector-Tester-Voltage-Current-Meter-/111392024283?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item19ef7b66db

The "how much power" questions come up so regularly, everyone really needs to buy one of these. They cost £2, and tell you the voltage and current being drawn from a USB port.

They're actually not sensitive enough to measure the draw of a standard AVR, but they clock the Yun at about 300mA.