using batteries with YUN

HI

I have a project that I want to use batteries and using a TS7805 voltage regulator and PP3 battery attached to Vin on my YUN does not work the LED's barley light. How much current does the board need ? I thought that a PP3 would do the job but does not work even with the YUN doing nothing, what sort of battery set up would you recommend ? and where can I get the specs.
Thanks in advance as any advice will be warmly accepted by this wet behind the ears Newbie. Anything about using a power supply other than USB would be great :frowning:

Andy

This thread is interesting:
Arduino power consumption

I don’t think Arduino Yun was designed for being powered by batteries, they wont last long and Yun doesn’t have sleep mode.

The small PP3 type 9v batteries are not suitable for any Arduino. At the very least use a pack of 6xAA cells.

...R

mart256:
This thread is interesting:
Arduino power consumption

I don’t think Arduino Yun was designed for being powered by batteries, they wont last long and Yun doesn’t have sleep mode.

@mart256,
you are correct, Yun does not have a sleep mode. However, some people have experimented. Here are some links:

Low power Yún
USB Hub per-port power switching

Thanks for the new link, I’ll add it to mine as well.

Jesse

4 x new AA NIMH batteries seem to work fine for me. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

They were at 5.07 V when fully charged, then hover around 4.8 V when discharging, all well within standard USB thresholds.

I checked amperage and I could draw around 2-3A in short bursts and the Yun consumes around 0.3-0.5 amps normally. I havent run them through to discharge but estimate that I should be able to get around 8hours or so based on what other people are posting here.

Make sure you plug the + into the Vin input (5V did not work for me). I would also advice against plugging in high EM inteferance devices such as Servos and DC motors to the circuit.