[SOLVED] MPU 6050 broken?

Hey,

I am trying to connect a MPU 6050 (GY-521) to my Arduino Uno and read the values. It took me a lot of hours to understand how this works and I feel like I understand it but it is impossible for me to read values so I feel like the sensor might be broken.

That is what I have attached:

GND → GND
VCC → 3,3V
SCL → A5
SDA → A4

You can see my setup in the attachment of this post to make sure that I didnt mix anything up.

Since I could make my own code working I tried some example codes I found on the internet like the one from the playground or from the I2C Devlib but none of them is working for me.
The output is always 0 no matter how I rotate the sensor or it can’t be found if there is a connection check implemented.

So I read about I2C Scanners and found two of them and tried them with my setup but even those programms couldn’t find my MPU 6050. So is it possible that my sensor isn’t working correctly anymore?

I wasn’t sure whether to connect the VCC to 3.3V or 5.0V so I tried both versions. Was it maybe wrong so too much voltage destroyed it? I couldn’t find a clear answer on this either cause the playground says that it’s supposed to be 5.0V while a lot of member in forums or on stackexchange or whatever say that it’s supposed to be 3,3V.

Another problem is that the sensor’s LED is struggling somethimes. It it supposed to light up all the time?

I have no idea anymore what I could do. So should I try buying a new sensor or is there something I am doing wrong or I could at least try before I get a new one?

Greetings, Tayfe

SOLUTION:

Tayfe:
So it is indeed necessary to solder the pins. We didn’t thought about this because we connected VCC and GND without soldering as well and the LED was working fine whereby we assumed that it should be enough to stick them together for now. Seems like we were wrong and I’ve got now three working gyros at home.

I don't know if there are different GY-521 boards out there but on the assumption there's no significant variation, this is what I observe from mine:

The MPU-6050 is indeed 3.3V but the GY-521 breakout board includes a voltage regulator so you should just provide 5V (although when I have tried providing 3.3V this has worked too). Neither voltage should damage it.

When the breakout board is powered the red light should be permanently on. It is quite bright.

The breakout board also includes pullup resistors for the I2C lines so you do not need external ones. No level shifting is required between it and an arduino uno.

The connections you describe should be sufficient.

There was no attachment in the last post - can you try again?

It sounds to me like it is faulty (or you are doing something that you haven't mentioned in your post).

Don't know why the attachment doesn't work, I tried it two times.

So here is now a picture of my setup:

|500x281

I can't see any problem with your setup.

There is some difference between the board you and I have because I see the light on yours is green whereas mine is red but I don't know if that's the only difference or if there are more.

I would expect this to show up on an I2C scanner. Have you tried running the scanning program with any other I2C device to confirm it is working correctly?

The only other thing I can think of is to tie AD0 (the address pin) to ground, though I've never found this to be a requirement.

Based on the thought that the gyro might be broken or working incorrectly I decided to buy another one since it's quite cheap. But even it's another completly new one it is still not working which makes me thinking that either the arduino board works incorrectly or that it is just me being completly stupid.

So here is a second of what my setup looks like this time:

|500x281

It is as simple as it could be isnt it?! Again I connected GND to GND and VCC to 5,0V. Additionally I connect SLC (green wire) to A5 and SDA (orange wire) to A4. Using this setup I did nothing but connecting the arduino to my computer and uploading the I²C-Scanner I posted in my first post. But it is still not working. I just get the message: "No I²C device found".

So what could be wrong? Did I still connect something wrong? I mean there are just like four wires so it shouldn't be too hard to connect them in the right way. Is the second gyro broken as well? Could be possible of course but it's still very unlikely. So I thought about the scanner but it's just copy&pasted from the link so it should work fine as well especially due to the fact that it worked for other people as well. The scanner is covering the addresses from 0 to 127 while my gyro should reply at address 104 so it should be convered.

So what is the problem here? I am really confused and a little desperated. Is there anything else I could try get at least a little closer to the problem? My problem there is that I dont have any other I²C sensors or Arduino devices or something I could try/replace my setup with.

I am experiencing a very similar problem.. My gy-521 worked very well a few days ago with an arduino uno, but with a nano it stopped working and i couldn't get it working with the uno again. Green LED still lights up, but it doesnt show up in any i2c scanners and it does show life if i connect ONLY i2c pins to 1 arduino and i connect another arduino properly. I have posted it here too: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=504510.0 .. i am playing with it for a few days now, but i haven't got it to work still. It's just a guess, but i'm guessing it might need to get some kind of a different i2c command to send a it's data. You can try to put a wire between INT (interrupt) and D2. When I've tested, it didn't require Int pint to be connected to D2, but after whole day of trying to fix it, it only showed life, when i connected it, but to me it's still not working properly.. it sometimes work, but mostly doesn't....

Thanks again for your answers.

So what I’ve been trying now was to borrow a Raspberry Pi from a friend since I don’t know anyone with an Arduino. I connected the gyro to the Raspberry and it showed life with a shining LED just like when I connect it to my Arduino. But just as with my Arduino it’s still not working. I run a I²C scanner on the Raspberry but it couldn’t found it, too.

Assuming that I did everything correct it seems like that it is at least not a problem of my Arduino. So to keep the search going I decided to try the cheap version one more time and I ordered another module in the internet from a different shop this time. Additionally I also orderer a simple I²C display so that I can try another I²C module in case it should still not be working. Maybe it’s still just me and I am too stupid to get it working or something…

I will see and report again. The pieces should arrive during next week.

Soldering the pins is required. I do not see any solder on the pins.

Too bad I didn't check this post while trying to solve it because gdsports got the solution! Thank you very much!

So it is indeed necessary to solder the pins. We didn't thought about this because we connected VCC and GND without soldering as well and the LED was working fine whereby we assumed that it should be enough to stick them together for now. Seems like we were wrong and I've got now three working gyros at home.

Again thanks to everyone for your help!

Hello, my arduino pro micro and mpu6050 is not working during testing I have this result.

Initializing I2C devices... Testing device connections... MPU6050 connection failed

Send any character to begin DMP programming and demo:

Can someone help me please. Thanks.

Hi my MPU-6050 is giving me unknown outputs that is not readable. Is there any solution?

deveshsnair: Hi my MPU-6050 is giving me unknown outputs that is not readable. Is there any solution?

Change the baud to 38400