SOLVED - ping.pde - error: 'microsecondsToInches' was not declared in this scope

I want to use my linux home server to update sketches of my home automation arduino, to ease testing. I use the Makefile method (make all upload) which works flawlessly for basic sketches. But my sketch has functions in the main file and the make process stops with a 'not declared in this scope' error, while it compiles fine in the standard IDE. I tried some of the examples and most work fine, until I take some with a function in it (Ping.pde). This gives:

/usr/bin/avr-g++ -MM -mmcu=atmega1280 -DF_CPU=16000000 -I. -I/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino  -g -Os -w -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions build-cli/Ping.cpp -MF build-cli/Ping.d -MT build-cli/Ping.o
cat build-cli/Ping.d > build-cli/depends.mk
/usr/bin/avr-g++ -c -mmcu=atmega1280 -DF_CPU=16000000 -I. -I/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino  -g -Os -w -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions build-cli/Ping.cpp -o build-cli/Ping.o
build-cli/Ping.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
build-cli/Ping.cpp:55: error: 'microsecondsToInches' was not declared in this scope
build-cli/Ping.cpp:56: error: 'microsecondsToCentimeters' was not declared in this scope
make: *** [build-cli/Ping.o] Error 1

Do I need to change anything in the Makefile or declare things in the pde?

The IDE makes protoypes of the functions in your code before calling the compiler. In essence functions need to be defined before called, so switching order of your functions in the .pde should do it. Or define prototypes of all functions used.

prototyping did the trick, issue solved

Bedankt ;)