Source for HX711 bare chips?

Well, my usual method of prototyping has failed. The HX711 load cell amplifier is widely available on breakout boards, most places re-selling the SparkFun board. So I’ve designed a circuit using it.

Now it’s time to put the HX711 onto my own PCB. But none of the major electronics warehouses (Mouser, Digikey, Element14) have it. None!

Where do you buy these chips other than eBay?

Note: I’m based in the USA.

Aliexpress would be my choice since it is a Chinese product and not available through the main US distributors (DigiKey, Mouser). Looks to be about 0.35-0.40 each in 100 pc lots.

Several listings on ebay.
Here’s one.
Leo…

MorganS:
Now it's time to put the HX711 onto my own PCB. But none of the major electronics warehouses (Mouser, Digikey, Element14) have it. None!

Sounds like sour grapes to me! Mount the breakout as a daughterboard to your custom PCB. Simple and effective.

Reminds me of the serious head-bangers we see from time to time who propose to replicate an Arduino. Foolish idea - just get a Pro Mini or Nano and mount it on a custom PCB. Using the header pins, you can put other stuff on the real estate beneath anyway.

Paul__B:
Sounds like sour grapes to me! Mount the breakout as a daughterboard to your custom PCB. Simple and effective.

Reminds me of the serious head-bangers we see from time to time who propose to replicate an Arduino. Foolish idea - just get a Pro Mini or Nano and mount it on a custom PCB. Using the header pins, you can put other stuff on the real estate beneath anyway.

Maybe OP wants to change what HX711 does? He may want to use another reference voltage, maybe from another source. Or he may use other (or simply known) values of RC filters on HX711 inputs. He may want another sampling speed or use own external clock for the chip ...

The same is true for the Arduinos - they are great for prototyping but poor to use in a final "product". You may want another regulator. Or a crystal of slightly different speed. And I think the real estate of the header pins alone is more than bare TQFP ATMega with the minimum required components.

Paul__B:

Not such a bad idea when you need a decent quartz crystal or TCXO though...

There are plenty of reasons to make a PCB instead of using breakout boards - As an experienced Arduino user, I think MorganS is capable of assessing whether breakout boards are appropriate for their application.

Chinese-made parts are often not sold by the major domestic distributors. Get them on ebay for small quantities, or aliexpress for larger quantities. There are lots of parts like this.

It's not simple and effective when I need to put 4 of them in a small box with other components. It's not like there's a lot of complexity on the breakout that's hard to reproduce.

The Arduino itself is relatively complex and not worth duplicating for most projects. I've put a lot of them on headers or soldered direct to the board. I did use a bare 328P chip once, in a project that fitted inside the backshell of a DB25 connector.

MorganS, hi, were you ever able to find a local source for these? I have some floating over on the slow boat, but I'd love to find a local source.

No, I ordered some from the big auction website. Slow is better than none.