Stepper Motor, A4988, Potentiometer Speed Control

I am currently working on a setup that involves an Arduino Uno, NEMA 17 stepper motor and an A4988 motor controller.

Through searching I have gotten everything running well with basic run code. The layout I have is shown in the image, plus a potentiometer wired to A0 as well as 5v and Gnd.

My issue: I want to control the speed of the stepper motor with a potentiometer. I have found about 4 or 5 tutorials that utilize the same code and when mimicking the setup it “works” but there is no way to bring the stepper to a 0 speed which I need. I was able to do what I wanted using an L298N controller but it got beyond excessively hot and not safe to use. Below is the code that sort of works:

If anyone has some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

// Defines pins numbers
const int stepPin = 3;
const int dirPin = 4; 
int customDelay,customDelayMapped; // Defines variables

void setup() {
  // Sets the two pins as Outputs
  pinMode(stepPin,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(dirPin,OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(dirPin,HIGH); //Enables the motor to move in a particular direction
}
void loop() {

customDelayMapped = speedUp(); // Gets custom delay values from the custom speedUp function
  // Makes pules with custom delay, depending on the Potentiometer, from which the speed of the motor depends
  digitalWrite(stepPin, HIGH);
  delayMicroseconds(customDelayMapped);
  digitalWrite(stepPin, LOW);
}
// Function for reading the Potentiometer
int speedUp() {
  int customDelay = analogRead(A0); // Reads the potentiometer
  int newCustom = map(customDelay, 0, 1023, 300,4000); // Converts the read values of the potentiometer from 0 to 1023 into desired delay values (300 to 4000)
  return newCustom;  
}

Wiring Layout.JPG

I reckon the logic will be easier to understand if you change this

void loop() {

customDelayMapped = speedUp(); // Gets custom delay values from the custom speedUp function
  // Makes pules with custom delay, depending on the Potentiometer, from which the speed of the motor depends
}

to this

void loop() {

intervalBetweenSteps = speedUp(); // Gets custom delay values from the custom speedUp function
  delayMicroseconds(10); // this is the pulse width
  delayMicroseconds(intervalBetweenSteps);
}

Start with very low stepper speeds - perhaps 200 millisecs between steps - then experiment to see what faster speeds work.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

That did make it much easier to understand. With your clarification I have it running much smoother now and more closely to the range of speed I want.

With that informatioin I was able to finish everything I wanted. I added an if/else statement and also added a pin output to control the "enable" function on the motor driver. Complete code shown below. This allows for a complete stop of the stepper motor at a pot value in the "if" statement range. I did have some weird twitching of the motor when I first made it >1022 only leaving 1023 as a possibility so I assume that is some variation in the pot value so making it >1020 solve the issue. Feel free to point out any optimizations in my code, it works but I'm not expert. Thanks again for all the help.

// Defines pins numbers
const int stepPin = 3;
const int dirPin = 2;
const int enablePin = 4; 
int customDelay; // Defines variables
int intervalBetweenSteps = 200;

void setup() {
  // Sets the three pins as Outputs
  pinMode(stepPin,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(dirPin,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(enablePin,OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(dirPin,HIGH); //Enables the motor to move in a particular direction
  digitalWrite(enablePin,LOW); //Enables motor
}
void loop() {

intervalBetweenSteps = speedUp(); // Gets custom delay values from the custom speedUp function
  // Makes pulse with custom delay, depending on the Potentiometer, from which the speed of the motor depends
  delayMicroseconds(10); // this is the pulse width
  delayMicroseconds(intervalBetweenSteps);
}
// Function for reading the Potentiometer
int speedUp() {
  int customDelay = analogRead(A0); // Reads the potentiometer
  if (customDelay > 1020) {
    digitalWrite(enablePin, HIGH); //disables the motor
  }
  else {
    digitalWrite(enablePin, LOW); //enables to motor
  }
  int newCustom = map(customDelay, 0, 1020, 9000,12000); // Converts the read values of the potentiometer from 0 to 1023 into desired delay values
  return newCustom;  
}